Archives

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Meadowfields is actually part of East Row, being that part of Sandsend first encountered as the approach is made from Whitby; it is the houses leading off at a right angle from the road. It is only after crossing over East Row beck that Sandsend is properly entered; the view from a Judges postcard is minus the East Row viaduct which was demolished in 1960, following closure of the line in 1958.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

The Flask Inn

The Flask Inn

The Flask Inn, 7 miles from Whitby on the road to Scarborough is a former 18th century coaching inn . Now much altered with development and lying away from the realigned road. The opened topped sports car stands at the lone petrol pump, can any one identify the make of the car?

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Egton Bridge and Bank

Egton Bridge and Bank

A further Judges postcard view of Egton Bridge, St Hedda’s RC church and the bank (entitled Egton Cliff on maps!) which descends from Egton, at the top of the hill. The view, dating from the 1950s; was probably taken from the road which having crossed the River Esk splits and then leads to Goathland or over the moor to Rosedale.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Lealholm

Lealholm

A Judges postcard view of Lealholm, dating from the 1950s. Sited at a crossing point on the River Esk, Lealholm has an long history and is recorded in the Domesday Book. It was recently described by the Sunday Times “as the prettiest village in Yorkshire”; a title it well deserves, being a popular destination for many visitors to Eskdale.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Aislaby Church

Aislaby Church

Dating from the 1950s this Judges postcard shows Aislaby church, it stands at the western end of the village; dedicated to St Margaret built in 1897 as a replacement  a chapel (dating from 1732) which still stands further to the east.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Margrove School 1928

Margrove School 1928

From the days when every village had a school, this school photograph of Margrove Park in 1928 dates from that era. And we have:

Back row from left to right): Mr Mackenzie, Lewis Snowdon, Miss Parkinson, Mrs Wilson, Mrs Myers, Miss Sprintall, Dick Moorhouse, Phillip Sanderson.

Middle row: Les Wood, Tommy Handley, Peggy Franks, Pat Sanderson, Winnie Day, Hazel Thompson, David Teasdale, ??, Tommy Simpson, John Nicholson, Jack Baker, Joe Proud, Charlie Wrightson.

Front row: Jack Balls, Jack Teasdale, Arthur Balls, Frank Davison, Albert Franks, Leonard Albert, Claire Sanderson, Lillie Bennison, Frances Sayer, Lil Cottell.

As Derick Pearson tells us: “Lewis Snowdon later became Head at Skinningrove Secondary Modern School and later became Deputy Head at Loftus County Modern when it opened in 1963.”

Image courtesy of Iris Place and many thanks to Derick for the update.

West Terrace, Redcar

West Terrace, Redcar

This postcard view of West Terrace is radically different today; ‘The Royal Standard’ renamed as ‘The Standard’ and the road is for buses only. The clock tower dedicated to Edward VII still stands at the end of the High Street, it is a Grade II listed building and a valued part of Redcar heritage.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

This Valentine’s postcard view taken from above Kyber Pass (just beside the whale bone arch looks towards Whitby Abbey and the east cliff. Dating from the 1950s, the flower beds and hand rails are much changed today.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

An un-mailed postcard is from the early 1900s, hand tinted it presents a colourful view of Whitby Abbey and Tate Sands.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Whitby from West Cliff

Whitby from West Cliff

This Photocrom postcard dates from 1909 and is delicately hand tinted. Even in those days the senders were enduring ‘wretched weather’, some things never change.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.