Kilton Valley Viaduct

This Kilton Valley Viaduct view comes from an undated and unused postcard, possibly previous to 1905 and the in-filling between the supporting arches. It is possible that the locomotive will give a possible dating and the Archive would welcome any assistance. Geoffrey Allen has responded to our request with:”The locomotive appears to be a N.E.R Class O 0-4-4T (LNER/BR Class G5) it is in Lined NER Livery. These engines were built at Darlington Works between May 1894 and December 1901; 110 in total so a 1905 date is possible. They were used on the Saltburn to Scarborough service and the number of coaches may suggest that this is such a train. Of the six coaches the second to last appears to be an earlier 6 wheel coach, the last of which were built about 1897 all the rest are bogie coaches, the first is a birdcage brake coach and the last may also be the same but the details are obscured. The other 3 appear to be low roofed bogie coaches built from about 1895 to 1906.” 

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka; thanks to Maurice Dower for the update and many thanks to Geoffrey Allen for the excellent update.

Ingleby Station

The station at Ingleby which served the village of Ingleby Greenhow was opened in 1857 and was part of the Picton to Battersby line, it closed in 1954 for passenger traffic but remained open until 1965 for freight when the line to Stokesley closed. The locomotive 67288 was built in 1896 at Darlington, it was renumbered to 67288 by British Rail in 1948, it was removed from service in 1954; this gives an approximate date for this image of the early 1950s.

Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection, information courtesy of “Disused Stations”.

Eston Station


Eston railway station, circa 1910, the station opened to passengers on 1st January 1902. Later a canopy was extended over the platform to shelter the passengers; the roof of one platform signal box is just visible, the one at the other end of the platform was later removed. This was a short lived station, closing 11th March, 1929; a casualty of motor bus competition.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection, additional information courtesy of “Disused Railway Stations”.

Skinningrove Station Before Beeching

Skinningrove Station when it was a working station; this view gives a proper idea of how close to Carlin How and how far away from Skinningrove. In the background right can be seen the chimneys of the steel works.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

After Closure

Skinningrove Station and the buildings gone; only the platform and sign remain to indicate where it stood.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Sandsend Railway Station

Opened in 1883 Sandsend station at the foot of Lythe bank was at the northern end of the viaduct spanning the Sandsend valley. It closed in 1958, but this postcard view shows the station in c. 1900, perhaps the porter is moving boxes for the young lady?
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Kildale Railway Station

An early 20th century view of Kildale station. The station master relaxes on the platform bench; as the woman and children look at the camera from the footbridge. Perhaps the stationmasters family? In 1901 this was Henry Bindoff, superseded by Thomas Carr in 1910, for one year; and John Watson in 1911.

Image courtesy of John G. Hannah. Further information on the railway at Kildale from ”Glimpses of Kildale” by Cedric Anthony.

East Row Railway Bridge, Sandsend

East Row Railway Bridge, Sandsend

A northbound train of the Sandsend viaduct. I often wonder when this image was taken, knowing that my mother-in-law used to work on Bridling Station (in the railway buffet) pre WWII, but lived in Sandsend. She travelled daily; todays commuters have it easy. As the time spent travelling must have been considerable, owing to the pace of those local trains!

Image courtesy of Jean Carass & Maurice Grayson.

Hinderwell Railway Station

A view of Hinderwell railway station, from a postcard believed to be by T. C. Booth. Hinderwell railway station originally opened with one platform in 1883, but a second platform was added in 1908 (due to Board of Trade regulations), this gives a date to this image of post 1908 as a second platform can be seen nearest the camera.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holiday Collection and Maurice Grayson.



Our image shows a BR Standard locomotive, number 77012, standing at Kettleness Station, pre 1959. Another station which has found a new lease of life – as a Scout Activity Centre – the coast line being closed in 1958 some 5 years before Dr Beeching. Usage was only heavy in the summer, whilst the tunnels and bridges were expensive to maintain.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection and Maurice Grayson, particular thanks to Simon Chapman for pertinent information.