Recent Comments

Archives

Silcoates School, Saltburn

When first viewed this ‘Gem’ postcard image entitled as “Silcoates School Saltburn” caused great discussion at the Archive, but after careful study and some research discovered that the building is the former Convalescent Home on the end of Marine Parade. Saltburn House as it is now known was opened in 1872 at a cost of £12,000 by Messrs Pease as a Convalescent Home for their workers. The home became a temporary base for Silcoates School in Wakefield after it burnt down in 1904. The rebuilt school, still open at the time of writing, offers assisted aid to pupils with what is known as the ‘Saltburn Bursary’ in memory of the link with the town. The house was later sold to the Working Men’s Club and Institute Union (“the CIU”), which converted it into a convalescent home for club members, one of several around the country. Its “residents” usually came, from all the major working-class areas of the UK, for subsidised two-week breaks. They were easy to recognise from the yellow button badges they were issued by the “Superintendent” on arrival. Subsequently bought by Hayes Working Men’s Club it has since been renamed “Saltburn House” in 2014. Tony Nicholson tells us: “W.T. Stead, the great Victorian journalist, attended Silcoates School in Wakefield between 1862 and 1864 and wrote about his time there. He was still alive in 1904 and may well have written about the school moving to Saltburn. His brother was a chemist based on Teesside and the Stead Memorial Hospital was named after him, so the family had connections with the area.”

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka and thanks to Tony Nicholson for the update.

Ship Inn, Lifeboat and Rocket Launcing Buildings at Old Saltburn

This unused postcard view of the Ship Inn, Lifeboat House and Rocket Lifesaving Apparatus House dates from the late 1800s, at that time the range of terraced cottages beyond the Ship Inn is clearly visible. Old Saltburn as it was known then was still a community and recognised as such by the Saltburn Improvement Company which developed Saltburn as a fashionable seaside resort. How it has shrunk today! 

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Promenade Tennis Courts

This view of the area now occupied by Marine Court on the promenade at Saltburn shows the tennis court and putting green, with the greenkeeper proudly standing surveying the tennis court.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn – Huntcliffe and Pier From An Aeroplane

A Photocrom Co. Ltd postcard aerial view of Saltburn, again unused but is believed to date from pre 1920, so the Archive would be grateful of any help!

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn – Aerial View Of Huntcliffe

This ‘Aerial View of Huntcliffe’ is another postcard produced by Photocrom Co. Ltd and is again unused; based upon the lack of housing on Bristol Avenue and Exeter Street it is probably pre 1920. Interestingly there is a bridge for the railway at the foot of Hilda Place. Again assistance would be appreciated in dating more precisely.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn from the Air – 3

A further postcard view by Photocrom Co. Ltd, Zetland Terrace is clearly visible as well as the western side of Hilda Place. However neither Bristol Avenue or Exeter Street have been built; as the card is unused, again assistance with dating would be much appreciated!

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn from the Air – 2

A further Photocrom Co. Ltd postcard and again undated; but again gives a lovely view of the Halfpenny Bridge and the wooded walks below the bridge. Interestingly the former Barnard Castle railway station portico – the ‘Greek Temple’ to many – is not visible, being well hidden among the trees.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn from the Air – 1

This Aerofilms image of Saltburn (first of a series of five which have come to the Archive) can be dated by the break in the pier and the presence of the water tower on the Lune Street/Upleatham Street junction. The card is postmarked August 1924, and must have been recently produced. The schooner “Ovenbeg” broke a 70 metre gap in the pier on 8th May 1924, so would have been produced shortly after the boat had been removed from the beach. Note the space between Emmanuel church and the south side of Windsor Road which appears to be allotment gardens; also the covered platform of the railway station.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

 

 

Rustic Bridge to Rushpool Hall

Who else has memories of this bridge, spanning Skelton Beck from Riftswood to the grounds of Rushpool Hall? Intriguingly it could be crossed but exiting into Rushpool Hall grounds required getting past the board door which was always locked! However by ways and means it was possible to get across and enter what was to many a ‘forbidden garden’. The image comes from an unused postcard, alas it bears no identification, but is believed to date from the early 20th century; certainly the bridge was there in the 1950s and 1960s. Can anybody help with a more positive dating?

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Balmoral Terrace and Zetland Hotel

A further Phoenix postcard view from Glenside towards Balmoral Terrace and the Zetland Hotel; all the buildings were faced with the distinctive Pease bricks, a feature of many of the buildings in this ‘planned’ seaside resort. Brittain and Wright of Stockton; who produced the Phoenix series would not have far to travel to undertake any photography for this series of images of Saltburn; just hop on the train in Stockton and down the line to Saltburn!

Balmoral Terrace was just across the end of Windsor Road (the Towers being on the opposite corner); the first houses on Balmoral Terrace served for many years as the dormitories for boarders at the Towers school), as the school was listed in Bulmers Directory of 1890 it would be in business at a similar time as this image.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Page 1 of 1612345...10...Last »