Recent Comments

Archives

St Aidan’s Church, Boosbeck

This hand-tinted postcard from the Phoenix Series showing St Aidan’s church, Boosbeck (and the vicarage beyond) can be dated to post 1904; researches provide the following description: St Aidan’s Church is a cruciform building of stone in the Norman style, erected in 1900; from designs by Messrs. Hicks and Charlwood, architects, at a cost of £4,000 and consists of a chancel, nave, transepts, west porch and a turret containing one bell: there being seating for 410. The site for the church and church yard was given by W.H.A. Wharton esq. of Skelton Castle, and the site for the vicarage by the late R.P. Petch esq., the vicarage house was erected in 1904, at a cost of £1,900. The separate ecclesiastical parish of Boosbeck was formed 13th December, 1901, the church was consecrated 29th October 1901; today the parish of Boosbeck retains the church which with Lingdale is part of the parish of Skelton.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Margrove Park

More familiarly known as “Magra” this Frith postcard is believed to date from the 1950s and is the best image as yet available to the Archive. This small community developed as a result of South Skelton ironstone mine being built in the 1850s and originally consisted of the two terraces of houses forming an L-shape on the hillside; between 1928 and 1933 Margrove and other local communities was closely linked to the Heartbreak Hill initiative by the Pennyman family of Ormesby Hall. The aim being to assist the residents whose lives had been devastated during the Depression; more recently this believed good works may have been had links to Nazi ideals and is still open for debate.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Albert Park Bandstand

Albert Park Bandstand

An obviously popular concert being held at the Albert Park Bandstand c.1905, judging by the crowds surrounding the Bandstand. Perhaps the three young people in the foreground where perhaps not as interested?

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Goathland War Memorial

Goathland War Memorial

Goathland memorial is one of many in the area built by Arrowsmith’s of Loftus. This early image (judging by the model of motorcycle & sidecar) shows the memorial which has also featured in ‘Heartbeat’ -the TV series as the memorial for ‘Aidensfield’.

North Ormesby 1903

North Ormesby 1903

A Banbride postcard view of the floods at North Ormesby railway crossing with the Toll Bar cabin in the background. The horse must have been quiet, imagine having the confidence to stand on the trailer?
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Boosbeck High Street

Boosbeck High Street

The High Street, Boosbeck. The large triple-fronted shop on the right of the image was a branch of the Skelton Co-operative. The floor above was known as ‘Rushbys Rooms’; where a sewing and knitting workshop was organised as part of a scheme to give unemployed miners and their families an alternative source of work and support. Chronicled in “Heartbreak Hill” by Malcolm Chase & Mark Wyman.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holiday Collection.

North Ormesby Hospital 1906

North Ormesby Hospital 1906

Do you remember North Ormesby Hospital? North Ormesby Hospital was built and opened in 1861 and over the years expanded into a hotch-potch of buildings that served the community for 120 years. North Ormesby Hospital closed in 1981 and was demolished in March 1982. This Standard Series postcard view is post marked 22nd January 1906. Ann Jackson tells us: ”I worked at North Ormesby Hospital from 1966 till 1975 . It was my training base for nursing. Miss Ferguson was the Matron. It was a very friendly hospital. We had a reunion recently at the Baltimore Hotel on Marton  Road.”
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah and many thanks to Ann Jackson for the update.

Ruswarp River Bridge

Ruswarp River Bridge

An hand coloured photo of Ruswarp, looking towards Whitby side. The old road bridge was replaced by the present arch bridge in 1936. The church of St Bartholomew prominent in the photo and the station to the right of the road level crossing.
Image courtesy of a friend of the ECIA.

Sandsend – East Row

Sandsend - East Row

A Valentine’s series postcard post marked 1904, showing a quiet village undisturbed by motor traffic. How different today?
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Ingleby Arncliffe 1904

Ingleby Arncliffe 1904

Situated in close proximity to the Cleveland Tontine; Ingleby Arncliffe it merges into the neighbouring village of Ingleby Cross. Close by is Mount Grace was purchased by the Middlesbrough Teesside steel magnate Sir Isaac Lowthian Bell as a weekend retreat in the 19th century.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.
Page 1 of 3123