Recent Comments

Archives

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Meadowfields is actually part of East Row, being that part of Sandsend first encountered as the approach is made from Whitby; it is the houses leading off at a right angle from the road. It is only after crossing over East Row beck that Sandsend is properly entered; the view from a Judges postcard is minus the East Row viaduct which was demolished in 1960, following closure of the line in 1958.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

This Valentine’s postcard view taken from above Kyber Pass (just beside the whale bone arch looks towards Whitby Abbey and the east cliff. Dating from the 1950s, the flower beds and hand rails are much changed today.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

An un-mailed postcard is from the early 1900s, hand tinted it presents a colourful view of Whitby Abbey and Tate Sands.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Whitby from West Cliff

Whitby from West Cliff

This Photocrom postcard dates from 1909 and is delicately hand tinted. Even in those days the senders were enduring ‘wretched weather’, some things never change.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A Peep From Old Whitby

A Peep From Old Whitby

This enchanting postcard view is very aptly entitled, dating from the 1950s; similar views can still be gained and this despite the thronged main and side streets on both sides of the river. Although the younger people are differently dressed today, the older fishermen still bear an uncanny resemblance to those in this view.

Image courtesy of Iris Place. 

Whitby Fish Quay and Market

Whitby Fish Quay and Market

Viewed from the famous 199 steps, this 1960s view of the fish quay and market is still unchanged today, although the numbers of boats regularly using the quay and market is now much reduced. Also the long familiar ice making equip ment is now gone. But the hopeful younger fishermen still throng the harbour sides fishing for crabs and fish.

Image courtesy of Irish Place.

Whitby Lifeboat

Whitby Lifeboat

Whitby’s Trent Class All-Weather Life Boat ‘George and Mary Webb’ on station at Whitby; the boat arrived in 1994; it has a range of 250 nautical miles and can reach speeds of 25 knots. The boat is designed to lie afloat (it does not have to be launched) as it is ready to go at any time; a useful attribute when considering the history of earlier lifeboats at Whitby and difficult launches.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Cappleman’s Yard, Whitby

Cappleman's Yard, Whitby

This J. T Ross postcard view of Cappleman’s Yard although not postmarked dates probably from the late 1890’s. Situated at 43/44 Church Street, Cappleman’s Yard is first listed in 1828 and later in 1899, changed its’ name to Stanley Place c.1909. A typical example of a Whitby yard with steps and landings crossing the narrow yards or alleys which adjoined Church Street in particular.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A Quiet Gossip

A Quiet Gossip

The actual title of this Frank Meadow Sutcliffe postcard (a Jayscale Reproduction) is “Women in New Way Ghaut, Whitby”, but the immediate impression when first viewed is that two ladies are enjoying a ‘quiet discussion’. Perhaps another ladies reputation or style was the topic of conversation?

Image courtesy of Iris Place. 

Ruswarp from Glen Esk

Ruswarp from Glen Esk

This Valentine’s Series postcard postmarked 1905; views Ruswarp from slightly down river than the normal views that include the road and rail bridges. At the is point the River Esk is of considerable expanse as it wends its’ way to Whitby and the sea.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Page 1 of 3412345...102030...Last »