Recent Comments

Archives

Snilah ponds at Hummersea

Snilah ponds at Hummersea

Entitled ‘The Cliffs, Loftus this postcard view over Hummersea farm and towards Boulby gives an excellent view of ”Snilah ponds” were believed to have been the settling ponds for Hummersea Alum works. Alas no longer visible, they were ‘filled-in’ in more recent times; older residents of Loftus have happy memories of looking for newts and similar wildlife in the ponds in their youth, happy days! Peter Appleton has updated our knowledge with: “No, not settling ponds for the alum works. There exists, among the Zetland papers at North Yorkshire County Record Office a sketch map (Ref.: ZNK/V/3/8/808) dated 8th April 1807 showing the arrangement for a system of drains and ditches to collect water and feed it into “Snarley Pond”. The outflow from the pond was shown as a “New Conductor for the water to the Alum House”. This was shown heading off in the direction of the Alum House complex on the beach at Hummersea. That Alum House complex was commissioned during the winter of 1809/10. The water was being gathered from source points all along the fields that lay adjacent to the cliff top and those to the south of the track that leads from present-day Hummersea House past Warren House and on towards Gallihowe.”

Image and update courtesy of Peter Appleton.

Loy House Again

Loy House Again

Loy House as it once was, no sign remains today of its presence, one of several dwellings in the area that were demolished.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Loy House?

Believed to be a view of Loy House, on Loy Lane; but we are unsure. Can anybody assist in identifying this building?
Image courtesy of Olive Bennett.

Grinkle Hall

Grinkle Hall

Grinkle Hall is the title of this postcard image, dating from 1904. Bearing a postmark to that, as well as an annotation visible in the lower right. There is a similar view on site, but is a tinted version of the same view.
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Boulby Cottages

Boulby Cottages

Two young boys pose to have their photograph taken in front of Boulby cottages or ’Tin City’ as it was locally known. Housing workers at the then Boulby ironstone mine, now the site of Boulby potash mine. The two lads have now been identified as Lance Easton (on the left) and Harry Easton (on the right).

Many thanks to Craig Bullock for that update.

‘Tin City’ – Boulby

'Tin City' - Boulby

”Tin City, Boulby Mines, looking towards Cowbar, about 1920” – is the title given to a copy of this image as featured in the Book ”Boulby Ironstone Mine” by Simon Chapman. Simon advised that the Skinningrove Iron Company in 1906 ”decided to proceed with the erection of 40 cottages at Boulby, at a cost of approximately £100 each, to house some of the workforce”, although an out of the way place it was very convenient for workers at the ironstone mine! Mary Bielby has told us: ”My grandfather was a joiner who fitted the wooden linings in the tin houses”. Derick Pearson tells us of Sarah Sheridan (ex-church minister of Loftus) who died at the age of 105 recently; she was born in Tin City. She many years later moved to Loftus and purchased the tin cottage she lived in with her parents and it had it rebuilt at East Crescent Loftus as a Pentecostal church, at the top of East Crescent, beyond the Hird’s joinery buildings. The building was demolished some years ago, the Pentecostal congregation now use the church building on Deepdale Road.

Many thanks to Simon for information relevant to this now vanished community and dating the original creation of the ”Tin City of Boulby”, also to Mary Bielby and Derick Pearson for updates.

Easington Church, 1834

Easington Church, 1834

A sketch/painting postcard (originally published by W. Richardson & Sons, West Road, Loftus) showing the original church at Easington; dated 1834.  It is a view of the original church which opened 10th May, 1772, the Rector at the time being Rev. William Harker, M.A. The view was sketched from the east (approaching the village from Staithes) on Whitby Road.

Image courtesy of Olive Bennett and Cody McCabe.

Snipe House, Grinkle

Snipe House, Grinkle

This 1912 view of Snipe House shows a very serious young man in the foreground, do you think he came a-courting?
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Easington Church

Easington Church

This view of Easington Church would be taken from the area now occupied by Sunnyfield Gardens.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Easington Post Office

Easington Post Office

A carefully arranged viewing of a group outside Easington Post Office, when it was the first property on Lambert Terrace. Didn’t it flourish for a period as a shop?
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers and many thanks to Pamela for that update.

Page 1 of 612345...Last »