Archives

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Above Meadowfiels, Sandsend

Meadowfields is actually part of East Row, being that part of Sandsend first encountered as the approach is made from Whitby; it is the houses leading off at a right angle from the road. It is only after crossing over East Row beck that Sandsend is properly entered; the view from a Judges postcard is minus the East Row viaduct which was demolished in 1960, following closure of the line in 1958.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Cubs and Scouts of Sandsend – 1929

Pictured at Sandsend with the railway viaduct in the background; the Cubs and Scouts of Sandsend had assembled.
Back row (left to right): D. MacLean, R. Sleightholme, John Young, G. Crosby, H. Crosby, H. Foster, W. Mead, T. Waller, W. Stamp, C. Thomas.
Middle row: J. Robson (Cub Master), Dr. Tinley (District Commissioner), T. Walker (Scout Master), W. Braithwaite (Assistant Scout Master).
Front row: F. Stonehouse, S. Sparks, B. Waller, T. Pybus, Reg. Carass .
Image courtesy of John G Hannah (originally from Whitby Gazette “Down Memory Lane” 1980).

Road Opening 1925

Road Opening 1925

The official opening of the Whitby to Sandsend road on 7th November 1925, this image is from an original taken by Tom Watson of Lythe. He had been commissioned to record the week by week progress of this activity.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Sandsend

Sandsend

This Frith’s postcard view of Sandsend, promoting Wilcock’s Stores Ltd, Sandsend; gives an excellent view of the Sandsend viaduct as it crosses the valley towards the station, as well as a view of the Alum House area at the bottom of the notorious Lythe bank.
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Sandsend Looking West

Sandsend Looking West

This Tom Watson postcard dating from 1927, the sender tells os travelling round the moors and was considering a cycle ride from Sandsend to Goathland, an energetic sort!
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah

Sandsend Footbridge

Sandsend Footbridge

This postcard view of the footbridge in Sandsend, which can still be viewed today – although slightly improved – dates from c. 1900. Perhaps the lady is returning with her laundry from the washing line?j
Image courtesy of Olive Bennett.

Sandsend Bay

Sandsend Bay

A hand tinted view of Sandsend and the Bay towards Whitby.
Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive.

North Yorkshire Coast

North Yorkshire Coast

A 1960’s or 1970’s postcard view (in Kodachrome?) shows the harbours or sands of Staithes, Sandsend, Whitby and Robin Hood’s Bay. A ral attempt to attract visitors to our beautiful coastal area.
Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive.

Sandsend East Row Bridge Disaster 1910

East Row road bridge was obviously demolished by serious flooding 20th May 1910. The present day road bridge continues to be a problem for modern road traffic, despite the addition of an adjacent footbridge. The modern weather conditions have obviously been experienced before, as our image clearly shows. Richard Fox has advised the Archive; the Whitby Gazette on 24th May 2010 to comemmorate this event presented the original commentary to a photograph of the disaster: “A severe storm on 20 May 1910 reduced the East Row Bridge to rubble as the beck became a raging torrent that tore up trees from Mulgrave Woods and hurled them into a bridge. East Row Bridge was built from 1778-1780 to a design by John Carr. Some commentators have suggested the pillars were undermined by the spate but it was the large amount of wood that effectively blocked the arches and caused a dam behind the bridge that caused it to break. It was this blocking of the small arches that prompted the design of a single arch that could not be blocked by tree debris. The previous wooden bridge at East Row was dismantled in 1777 and moved to Raithwaite”.

 
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson and Keith Bowers, thanks to Richard Fox for directing the Archive to the Whitby Gazettes excellent article.

Sandsend and Kettleness Nab

Sandsend and Kettleness Nab

A Frith postcard view dating from pre 1926 (postmarked 25th May 1926) of Sandsend. It clearly shows the railway only divided from the main road by a wooden board wall. In the foreground is the house ’Sandhills’ which was for some time recently a restaurant but is now returned to a private residence.
Image courtesy of John Hannah.