Quaker Burial Ground

Another gravestone from the Quaker burial ground at Liverton, one stone appears to be dated 1710. “The Quaker burial ground at Liverton is located at Red House farm. Dating from about 1669 to the early 1800’s, it is believed that up to 50 persons are interred there. Little is known about the Society of Friends in the area, But may have started after the visit by the founder George Fox preaching in Cleveland around 1654.”
Image courtesy of a friend of the Archive, additional information courtesy of Dr Alastair Laurence ’History of Liverton’.

Saltburn Railway Station

A Thirkell’s (of Saltburn) postcard view of the Station, obviously at least one of the railway staff knew of the event; the Stationmaster is standing on what is today the road! Traffic must have been very light; the date of this photograph is believed to be post 1899.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka, thanks to Tony Lynn for the update

Saltburn Railway Station 1869

Known to date from 1869 (a newspaper clipping located behind this photograph was dated 20th November 1869), this view of the portico of the station appears to show Alpha Place on the extreme left. The photographer is unknown, but could it have been a local ‘snapper’?

Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

The Fylingdales ‘Golf Balls’

The original ‘Golf Balls’ at Fylingdales in the 1960s, now replaced by a pyramid object; the original ‘Golf Balls’ could be seen for miles across the moors, particularly from the north and west and often best viewed from the Guisborough to Whitby ‘moor’ road.

Image courtesy of Robert Goundry.

Stape Silver Band at Egton Show

Stape Silver Band playing in the sunshine at Egton Show in the 1960s, one of the many attractions of the show; popular with all ages and weather permitting a fantastic day out for all ages. I would imagine the band would be feeling the sun’s rays later in the day!

Image courtesy of Robert Goundry.

Keldhowe Point from the West

Now known to be Keldhowe Point and not Kettleness Point; being was taken on Ovalgate Cliffs and is looking east across Loop Wyke towards Tellgreen Hill and Keldhowe Point.

Image courtesy of Robert Goundry and thanks to David Richardson for the update..

‘Lucky Dog’ Point from the East

A view of ‘Lucky Dog’ point taken from the cliffs above Holmes Grove, in the 1960s. Kettleness Point is a little further along the coast.

Image courtesy of Robert Goundry, thanks to David Richardson for the update.

Brook House Again

This view of the rear of Brook House gives a real impression of how it perched on the side of the road, but also of how close to the Gas Works it really was! When first built it would be a substantial dwelling and one of the largest houses in the village.

Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive.


Regeneration is perhaps ‘over-egging it’, obviously Brookside Motors were more concerned with vehicle maintenance than building maintenance? Perhaps this photograph was taken on a quiet day or perhaps they had also been ‘moved on’, prior to total clearance of the site?

Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive.

Brookside Motors

Brookside Motors was obviously a well chosen name for the business, it could not get much closer to Skinningrove Beck? This view of the premises featured in “Regeneration? gives an indication as to how industrialised parts of the valley were and how it has now a more rural appeal.

Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive.