Archives

Loftus Station – World War I Volunteers

Help needed! The Archive has been sent this image, purchased via ‘ebay’ as an unknown station. However eagle-eyed Andy Barwick realised it was Loftus station, with Yorkshire Regiment Volunteers (later the Green Howards) awaiting a train; but the date is unknown. It is believed that the two station porters are visible (one at each end) and possibly the station ‘lad’ cross-legged in the front. The Stationmaster (at rear close to the station lamp – with a moustache!), as well as members of the general public. Andy can assist with possible names of the Stationmasters for up to July 1914 as J. W. Nunn and from July 1914 W. H. Charlton, if anybody recognises either soldiers or railway staff. Can anybody assist with names and a possible date? Ray Brown suggests: “Robert Henry Walker (my maternal grandfather) is possibly on the back row far right next to the station porter?”

Image and information to date courtesy of Andy Barwick, many thanks to Bill Danby for a refreshed image and update information. Also to Ray Brown for a suggested name.

Saltburn Possibly 1918?

 

This postcard image of ‘Chocolini’s’ corner in modern-day Saltburn is believed to show the Peace Celebrations at the end of the First World War; based upon the variety of flags, Boy Scouts being present and numbers of uniformed persons present.Researches have indicated that the Vicar of Emmanuel Church, Saltburn from 1913 till 1925 was Arch Deacon T. E. Lindsay; from photographic evidence now available to the Archive he would appear to bear a very strong resemblance to the Vicar conducting the proceedings on the corner of Windsor Road and Albion Terrace. Further information having come to the Archive indicates the electrification of the street lights (an incomplete light features in the foreground of the image) was completed by 1919, the Archive now has a postcard dating from September 1920 showing this street light completed. But the Archive would welcome comments, supporting evidence or further information.

 

Image and information courtesy of Geoff Kitching, additional information courtesy of Emmanuel Church Centenary Magazine 1967.

Loftus War Memorial Dedication

Loftus War Memorial Dedication

At 2pm on 11th November, 1922, (one year after the end of registration of deaths due to the War or its effects), the Memorial at Loftus was formally consecrated. Built by Mr. C. Hebditch the Celtic Cross, to a design by B J Wormleighton;made of Cornish granite, stands on a site in the High Street donated by Lord Zetland.  Mrs. G. Locker (who lost two sons in the conflict) and Mr. W. Hoggarth D.C.M. performed the unveiling of the monument that commemorates the dead of the First World War.  The total cost of £815 was raised by donations and collections.  Sir Hugh Bell was guest speaker, the service was conducted by ministers of all religions, each taking a part of the service.

The guard of honour and firing party was provided by 4th Battalion, Queen Alexander’s Own, the Yorkshire Regiment, also known as the Green Howards. The local Battalion of the local Regiment had recruited so many of the men whose names were inscribed on the bronze tablets at the base of the Celtic Cross.

In the background can be seen Oliver’s buildings – a house and a coachhouse, a butcher’s shop and three cottages – which were owned by the Catholic Church and later demolished.

Image courtesy of Eileen Hicks and many thanks to Stuart Cole for information regarding the guard of honour and firing party.

 

Skelton Drill Hall

Skelton Drill Hall

This postcard view of a building which will be remembered by many; internally it bears no resemblance to those views included in this image and externally is passed by many who are unaware of the buildings former essential use. Originally opened on 26th December 1913, for the Skelton Territorials “G” Company of the 4th Yorkshire Regiment, in the 1960s it became a social club. After burning down it was altered into apartments, bearing the title of Marlborough Court; it still stands at the southern end of Marlborough Road.
Image courtesy of Peter Appleton.

Staithes War Memorial

Staithes War Memorial

A further War Memorial created and erected by William Arrowsmith of Loftus. The Staithes War Memorial stands at the top of the bank that leads down into the lower part of the village, and the harbour. The memorial is inscribed: ”Staithes War Memorial: To Perpetuate the memory of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice for King and Country. During the Great War 1914 – 1918”. As the century progressed this deeply felt sentiment had to further include the soldiers, airmen, and a large number of sailors from the Second World War; to the present day as with all Memorials the more recently fallen are remembered.

As Laurence Binyon’s poem states: ”WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!”

Lingdale War Memorial

Lingdale War Memorial

Lingdale War Memorial (another manufactured by Arrowsmith’s of Loftus) is shown against the backdrop of the shale heap at Lingdale. Today the memorial remains, but the shale heaps which dominated the village are now a distant memory. Paula Miller tells us: ”The workers shed on the right of the photograph is now situated on Busky allotments and still going strong.”

Many thanks to Paula for that update.

North Skelton War Memorial

North Skelton War Memorial

Skelton has two memorials, one on Cross Green and this outstanding example at North Skelton. The North Skelton Memorial is another example of the excellent work from Arrowsmith’s Memorials of Loftus.

Goathland War Memorial

Goathland War Memorial

Goathland memorial is one of many in the area built by Arrowsmith’s of Loftus. This early image (judging by the model of motorcycle & sidecar) shows the memorial which has also featured in ‘Heartbeat’ -the TV series as the memorial for ‘Aidensfield’.

Castleton and Danby War Memorial

Castleton and Danby War Memorial

The memorial stands in open moorland on Ainthorpe Lane, Castleton; serving as the memorial for both Castleton & Danby. This image possibly dates from the dedication of the memorial in October 1921, by Viscount Downe and Baron Dawnay.

“Workers V.C.”

The Daily Herald, Instituted the Order of Industrial Heroism to recognise the ”Deeds of Valour” of those workers who had saved their fellow workers from danger of death. This became known as the ”Workers V.C.” Many of the recipients were awarded posthumously and also received other awards including the George Cross, George Medal and Royal Humane Society Medal. Just over 400 Workers V.C.s were ever awarded.
J.M. Easton (Overman at Loftus Mine, Skinningrove) was presented with the Medal at the Union Council Middlesbrough on 14th December 1946. He was the 177th recipient.

Information courtesy of TUC..