Recent Comments

Archives

Lumpsey Surface Workers

There is some doubt about this image, whether it is of Lumpsey mine surface workers or is it Skinningrove works? The archive would again welcome comments as to who might be in the photograph and where the photograph was taken.

Image courtesy of Geoff Kitching.

Huntcliffe Surface Workers

This image (from a postcard produced by J. E. Huntrodd of Brotton) is of surface workers from Huntcliffe mine, the clue is in their clothing and particularly their trousers. When supplied (by Geoff Kitching) he commented about atleast two people in the image can also be found in the image ‘Lumpsey 2’. The gentleman on the back row (now known to be Mr Ralph Clough, Mine Engineer) he was at Huntcliffe and  moved to Lumpsey; also the miner in the front row (with a terrier dog) also features in the same Lumpsey image. There may be other matches but leave it to eagle-eyed viewers to assist. Any assistance with names would be welcomed. 

Image courtesy of Geoff Kitching, with researches courtesy of Tom Kitching .

North Loftus Mine and Miners

When first sent to the Archive, this image was believed to be of miners in the late 19th century or early 20th century at Loftus mine, this was based on the building in the background. Researches have revealed that the structure is possibly part of the original North Loftus mine; this was inside Skinningrove Works. The building is visible in many images of the works and the roof windows bear an uncanny resemblance to those in this image, hence the title. However, the Archive would welcome comments or information to assist or verify which mine this is!

Image courtesy of Geoff Kitching.

Head Gear of Crags Hall Ironstone Mine

Head Gear of Crags Hall Ironstone Mine

A view of Crags Hall ironstone mine viewed possibly from the road linking Brotton and Carlin How. The mine operated from 1871 to 1892, the only indication of the existence of the mine is the cottages and farm on the hillside. The mine was named after the farm, the cottages came later and after the mine closed a collection of building, which stood below the road (now a grassy field) were known as Crags Hall cottages, they were demolished in 1966. Simon Chapman confirms our belief in the view: ”This view is from the road looking towards the sea. The two shafts shown here were south of the railway whereas the fanhouse (to left) was on the seaward side.”
Image courtesy of George Pearson and thanks to Simon for the update.

Horse Work

Horse Work

Photo believed to have been taken in Lumpsey Mine. It will be noticed the use of horses instead of ponies in the Cleveland Ironstone seams. The miners are holding carbide lamps and a pile of props are on the left.

Photo courtesy George Pearson.

Morrison’s Mine, Brotton

Morrison’s Mine

A view of Morrison’s Mine and Coach Road, Brotton. Morrison’s was an independently owned mine; output was at the requirements of the Ironmasters – so could be a little or a lot depending upon demand – so called as it was developed by Robert Morrison (he lived in The Grange, Brotton), imagine having this in your back yard? There was also a brickworks! The shafts were named after Robert Morrison’s wife (Florence) and  his daughter (Mary). The overhead gantry was situated about where the children’s play area is on Coach Road today, but there are effectively no remains to indicate this industrial past.
Image courtesy George Pearson.

Lumpsey Mine 1895

Lumpsey

1895 was the date on this photo and who am I to argue?
Image from a collection courtesy of Derick Pearson.

Lumpsey

Lumpsey

Now the fan falls into disrepair as the mine is no longer working.
(photo courtesy of Cleveland Ironstone mining museum)

Brotton Fan

Brotton Fan

This was the ventilating fan at Lumpsey mine. It was installed in 1925 and made by the Waddle Fan Engineering Co. of Llanelly in South Wales. After working until 1964 it was left to decay until somebody stole it.”

(photo courtesy of Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum)

Thanks once again to Simon Chapman for keeping me right on the fan at Lumpsey.  joanj

1

The Fan House

Julie Riddiough has kindly sent us a set of photographs that she took from the top end of Brotton just last month, in the afternoon of 27th August. This is a view over the golf course to the remains of the Huntcliffe mine, Guibal fan house, beside the railway at the top of the cliff. ”The Huntcliff Ironstone Mine, a drift mine, commenced operations in 1872 by which time ventilation techniques had become more sophisticated. Worked on the pillar and bord system, this mine was one of several to be ventilated by a Guibal fan, named after its Belgian inventor. A vertical shaft was driven down to the mining level at the top of which the fan house was erected. A huge 30 foot ( 9 m) diameter fan powered by a static steam engine drew the foul air up the shaft and then up a specially designed chimney to the open air. Once in operation fresh air would be drawn into the mine through the drift entrances and could be controlled and directed by a series of shutters or doors usually operated by young boys.”

Image courtesy of Julie Riddiough; additional information courtesy of ”Coast Alive”.

Page 1 of 41234