Ingleby Station

The station at Ingleby which served the village of Ingleby Greenhow was opened in 1857 and was part of the Picton to Battersby line, it closed in 1954 for passenger traffic but remained open until 1965 for freight when the line to Stokesley closed. The locomotive 67288 was built in 1896 at Darlington, it was renumbered to 67288 by British Rail in 1948, it was removed from service in 1954; this gives an approximate date for this image of the early 1950s.

Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection, information courtesy of “Disused Stations”.

Eston Station


Eston railway station, circa 1910, the station opened to passengers on 1st January 1902. Later a canopy was extended over the platform to shelter the passengers; the roof of one platform signal box is just visible, the one at the other end of the platform was later removed. This was a short lived station, closing 11th March, 1929; a casualty of motor bus competition.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection, additional information courtesy of “Disused Railway Stations”.

Skinningrove Station Before Beeching

Skinningrove Station when it was a working station; this view gives a proper idea of how close to Carlin How and how far away from Skinningrove. In the background right can be seen the chimneys of the steel works.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

After Closure

Skinningrove Station and the buildings gone; only the platform and sign remain to indicate where it stood.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Sandsend Railway Station

Opened in 1883 Sandsend station at the foot of Lythe bank was at the northern end of the viaduct spanning the Sandsend valley. It closed in 1958, but this postcard view shows the station in c. 1900, perhaps the porter is moving boxes for the young lady?
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Kildale Railway Station

An early 20th century view of Kildale station. The station master relaxes on the platform bench; as the woman and children look at the camera from the footbridge. Perhaps the stationmasters family? In 1901 this was Henry Bindoff, superseded by Thomas Carr in 1910, for one year; and John Watson in 1911.

Image courtesy of John G. Hannah. Further information on the railway at Kildale from ”Glimpses of Kildale” by Cedric Anthony.

Hinderwell Railway Station

A view of Hinderwell railway station, from a postcard believed to be by T. C. Booth. Hinderwell railway station originally opened with one platform in 1883, but a second platform was added in 1908 (due to Board of Trade regulations), this gives a date to this image of post 1908 as a second platform can be seen nearest the camera.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holiday Collection and Maurice Grayson.



Our image shows a BR Standard locomotive, number 77012, standing at Kettleness Station, pre 1959. Another station which has found a new lease of life – as a Scout Activity Centre – the coast line being closed in 1958 some 5 years before Dr Beeching. Usage was only heavy in the summer, whilst the tunnels and bridges were expensive to maintain.
Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection and Maurice Grayson, particular thanks to Simon Chapman for pertinent information.

Skinningrove Railway Station

Skinningrove Station – ironically at Carlin How! But who were the two people in the photograph?

Image courtesy of Keith Bennison.

Easington Railway Station 1905

Easington Railway Station 1905

Easington railway station opened on 3rd December 1883 (as Easington) and was renamed Grinkle on 1st April 1904. This postcard image must have been taken shortly after the name change. The station closed in 1939, eight days after Britain declared war on Germany – start of World War II – and was situated before the railway line entered the tunnel under Grinkle Lane. It was accessible via a short lane from the Loftus Easington road. Easington railway station was built to a similar design to the stations of Staithes, Hinderwell and Kettleness
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.