Recent Comments

Archives

Bridge End, Robin Hood’s Bay

Bridge End, Robin Hood's Bay

Dating from 1905 this postcard view is little different today. The vegetation even in more modern times replicates that on the image. At times there is still as little traffic owing to the nature of road access to the lower village.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Snipe House, Grinkle

Snipe House, Grinkle

This 1912 view of Snipe House shows a very serious young man in the foreground, do you think he came a-courting?
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

West Road Loftus 1904

A Bruce postcard view of West Road, Loftus post marked 1904; prior to the building on the south side by George Hebditch, note the still un-metaled road and the casual attitude to possible traffic by the onlookers. No. 26 West Road is the fourth house down in the second block of houses on the right hand side of this image; next door to the present day dentist’s at no. 27.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Whitby Piers

An early view of the piers at Whitby; the taller buildings on the Battery are absent, to-day the lower part of Khyber Pass is flanked on the lower side by cafes and restaurants. The pier seems well thronged with those taking the bracing airs or perhaps they had come to see the paddle steamer return to port; any one for a trip round the bay?
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers

South Wood Fall, Loftus

South Wood Fall, Loftus

The waterfall in Espiner’s (Hancock’s) wood, our postcard view is undated; but is possibly from the early 1900s.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Marske Hall

Marske Hall

Viewed from what is now Redcar Road, Marske; this postcard view of the then home of the Marquess of Zetland dates from 1905. During World War I it was used by the Royal Flying Corps; as they used the airfield at Marske (the area now occupied by Barnes Wallis Way and other similarly aeronautical named roads).
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Old Alum House at Hummersea

Old Alum House at Hummersea

A different view of the Alum House showing Cattersty point in the background. How well preserved it looks at that point in time, an impressive building.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Ingleby Arncliffe 1904

Ingleby Arncliffe 1904

Situated in close proximity to the Cleveland Tontine; Ingleby Arncliffe it merges into the neighbouring village of Ingleby Cross. Close by is Mount Grace was purchased by the Middlesbrough Teesside steel magnate Sir Isaac Lowthian Bell as a weekend retreat in the 19th century.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Middlesbrough Market Place

Middlesbrough Market Place

‘Over the Border’ as it is colloquially known or St Hilda’s in Middlesbrough; housed the then thriving weekly market in 1905. Another area vastly different today.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood & Keith Bowers.

Skinningrove after the Floods

Skinningrove after the Floods

This view believed to be taken after the floods of 1903, shows the original bridge in Skinningrove linking the village via ”Bothroyd’s Bank” to Hummersea, Loftus and Boulby. It was later to be replaced by the bridge of today.
Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood and Keith Bowers.