Recent Comments

Archives

Shoulder of Mutton Inn Staithes

Shoulder of Mutton Inn Staithes

Known now as The Mariners Cottage; the Shoulder of Mutton was listed in Bulmer’s Directory of 1893 with George Lloyd as the licensee. Reputedly one of the oldest houses in Staithes and the image shows the ladies gathered in their ’Steers’ bonnets (I wonder whose reputation was being discussed?) outside the inn and adjacent shop.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson and Keith Bowers.

It's a Cosh Mi Lud

It's a Cosh Mi Lud

Mock trial staged by Loftus Youth Club members; cast were: C. Wilson (judge), Robin Wilson (counsel for the prosecution), W. Carter (counsel for the defence
) examining the “cosh”.
Image courtesy of Loftus Youth Club.

Coming quietly

Coming quietly

Warders J. Mouatt, and J. Noble restrain the prisoner R. Thornton in the mock trial at Loftus Youth Club.
Image courtesy of Loftus Youth Club.

Before or After?

Before or After?

This glass plate image shows four gentlemen take their ease on the footbridge over Whitecliffe Beck on Glover’s Path at the foot of the steps up to Liverton Mines. Now was this before or after the steps have been navigated?
Image courtesy of Geoff Patten.

Tenth anniversary presentation

Tenth anniversary presentation

Lady Joyce Worsley, wife of Sir William William Worsley the  Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding is shown  presenting the road race trophy to Derrick Richards at the tenth anniversary dinner at Loftus County Youth Club 16th July 1952. On the right is Thelma Mintoft who received an award  for Music on behalf of her brother John. Sir William was the Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding from 12th June 1951 to  15th June 1965. Sir William was asked to present awards at the tenth anniversary dinner as he had ten years previously – 16th July 1942 – officially opened the Youth Club. In his address at the dinner he commented on the El Alamein spirit of the youth club at the opening ceremony: ”loyalty, courage and endurance and determination were the qualities needed in the formation and continuation of a youth club”.

Image courtesy of Loftus Youth Club.

All Saints church, Hutton Rudby

All Saints church, Hutton Rudby

This delightful view of the church and the low weir on the River Leven carefully avoids veiwing the stone built road bridge (to the left of this image). The modern day view of the church and weir from the road bridge is considerably changed with large trees growing on the stony bank of the river. This image taken froma glass plate negative dating it is believed from the late 19th century.
Image courtesy of Geoff Patton.

Loftus Youth Club 1950s

Loftus Youth Club 1950s

Taken from an album of photographs and press cuttings, we know the era but – was it for a fancy dress event or some theatricals? We don’t know, can you help?

Kevin Harvey asks: ”Could this photo be slightly earlier about 1946 or47, the boy in sailor uniform looks very much like my father Robert Harvey; though he lived Ings Lane Brotton at this time?”

Image courtesy of Loftus Youth Club.

Sir William Turner’s Hospital, Kirkleatham

Sir William Turner's Hospital, Kirkleatham

This view of the almshouses at Kirleatham taken from a glass plate negative is relatively unchanged today. The stone pillars in the foreground serve as the entrance to the complex from Kirkleatham Lane (former A174 before the road alterations), the cobbled roadway replaced by more modern tarmac. It is still a magnificent façade to view, at odds in some ways to the present day world which passes by the gates.
Image courtesy of Geoff Patton.

Showing the foundry's range

Showing the foundry's range

The moulder shows foundry products, he is holding a fire grate; on the left is a manhole grating. A substantional castings contract was made for the construction of Scaling Dam in the 1950s. But the days of the small iron casting foundry were nearly over. it is now used by a firm making wrought iron ornamental railings etc.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Moulder at Work

Moulder at Work

Preparing a mould, in sand, the top half of the moulding block is on the left ready to be clamped to the completed casting. Observing behind the moulder is Robin Wilson.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.