Recent Comments

Archives

Priory Gatehouse

Priory Gatehouse

The original entrance to the priory at Guisborough. Founded in about 1120 by Robert De Brus for Augustinian Canons. The original priory burned down in 1289 and this gatehouse was the only survivor of the fire.

Postcard courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Sandsend Ness

Sandsend Ness

The sea wall and Sandsend Ness. The building in this postcard is part of the old alum works it was cleared away to provide a car park.
A Judges postcard courtesy Maurice Grayson.

Pierrots

Pierrots

On the sands at Saltburn in the years before the Great War. A large audience are watching a performance by Pierrots. At this time the usual performers were Grapho and Jacksons ”Mascots” or the ”Jovial Jollies”
Postcard courtesy Maurice Grayson..

Loftus Youth Club – July 1946

Loftus Youth Club - July 1946

The title tells all! This photograph came to us with the title on the reverse. We would welcome names and possibly reasons for the gathering.
Back row: ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, Denis Codling, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??.
Front row: ??, ??, ??, ??, ??.

Alex Wilson advises us: ”The face peering out from the back row, with his hands resting on the shoulders of two ladies, looks like my father Denis Codling. He would have been 20 in 1946.”

Image courtesy of Loftus Youth Club and many thanks to J. Wilson for that update.

Hummersea Beach in 1906

Hummersea Beach in 1906

A postcard image of Hummersea beach with the remains of the alum house and chimney still dominating the beach. The postcard is postmarked 30th August 1906 and the beach looks to be well used by visitors, enjoying the sunny day.
Image courtesy of Jean Hall

Arlington Street

Arlington Street

This J. Salmon postcard view of the High Street and Arlington Street, Loftus; is unused and so possibly dates form the early part of the 20th century. We would welcome defining detail.
Image courtesy of Jean Hall.

1965 Loftus School

1965 Loftus School

A copy of a newspaper cutting reporting on the retirement of Mr and Mrs Gornall from Loftus County Modern in 1965.
Image courtesy of Christopher Colbeck.

Birthday Greetings from Staithes

Birthday Greetings from Staithes

A different sort of birthday postcard view of Staithes and Cowbar.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson

Loftus Mill Bank

Loftus Mill Bank

Mill Bank Loftus, above the trees on the left can be seen the tower for the aerial bucket’s system tipping shale from the mine.

Postcard courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

St Leonard’s

St Leonards

St Leonards is the parish church for Loftus. The original ancient edifice dating back to Saxon times was demolished in 1810, Described by Rev Graves as a dark, mean and humble building. The new church designed by Ignatius Bonomi, a well known Durham architect who also planned the Rectory, this now called Linden House; the hall of Lord Dundas in the Hall Grounds is also much in his style. The church was again enlarged around 1900, with the addition of a north aisle. The fine carved rood screen and rood cross, divide the nave from the chancel.

A Skilbeck poscard courtesy Maurice Grayson.