Recent Comments

Archives

Brotton Chemist Corner

A postcard view from the Phoenix Series (Brittain & Wright of Stockton) and dating from pre-1909, showing Brotton’s Chemist Corner from below the White House.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka and Edgar Treloar.

Brotton Co-op

Brotton Co-op

Brotton Co-op (Drapery Department), again very early c.1900. Note the Salvation Army building on the right above High Wall and just above it St Margaret’s Church. Also note the wire frame Gas lamp in front of the No 1 Branch Co-op.
(once again thanks to Derick Pearson for photo and caption)

An update from Julie Riddiough: ”Hi, it’s actually the Co-op drapery which was later owned by Ivan Dawson from Loftus and became Brotton Drapery, then became the New Methodist Church in the 1980’s. In the gap to the right of this building was a Large Tent like structure which was the first Picture House in Brotton opened by Joseph E Huntrods the photographer who lived in Errington Street Brotton and operated his photograph studio out of the back of his parents confectionery shop.”

Brotton High Street ca 1900

Brotton High Street ca 1900

Brotton High Street again.This time the photograph is taken off the High Wall. Plenty of people about and this is earlier than the last one as there is no Salvation Army Hut, no Roman Catholic Church, the entrance to the quarry is visible and so is the Blood Tub (Queens Arms) and St Margaret’s church prominent on the hill top. Note the 4 complete Gas Lamps as well. Things don’t change so much men still gather at the High Wall. Patsy Gallon tells us: ”My grandparents lived in Brotton. My grandfather John James Rogerson would not walk past those houses as he felt sure they would fall down!” Interestingly they still lean and as yet have not fallen down.
Image and information courtesy of Derick Pearson and thanks to Patsy Gallon for the update.

Steam Heritage passes Industrial Heritage (2008)

Steam Heritage passes Industrial Heritage (2008)

Preserved K1 Class, 62005, rounds the bend at Huntcliff, passing the remains of the old Guibal Fanhouse on a Trainspotter’s Special on the 10th May 2008
(image courtesy of Raymond Brown)

Out for a Walk, May 1984

Out for a Walk, May 1984

Mrs Yeoman’s class, Harry Dack Infants, stopped for a quick snap, beside the road to Liverton Mines, after walking under the railway bridge.  Mrs Jemson is with us.

Image courtesy of Joan Yeoman.

In Station Wood – 1

In Station Wood - 1

At the corner we turned into Station Wood, crossed the little bridge over the beck and climbed the steps into the wood.  We stopped to have our picture taken.

This group of boys are, (from left), John Whitwell, Graham Atkinson, Steven Evans, and Mark Sussens.  Thanks to John for the names.

(Photo – Joan Yeoman)

In Station Wood – 2

In Station Wood - 2

Some more of the boys paused for a picture at the top of the steps.

(Photo – Joan Yeoman)

In Station Wood – 3

In Station Wood - 3

The girls were following, and stopped for a moment.

Mrs Yeoman can remember our faces, but not all our names.  Can you help, please?

Donna Whitwell tells us: ”in this photo there is Donna Whitwell, Kerry Reason,  Michelle Harris, Nicola Harris, Rachael Pearson, Joanne Dean, Samantha Tremain, Clare Taylor.

(Photo – Joan Yeoman and update from Donna Whitwell.)

Lingdale “Bottom End”

Lingdale “Bottom End”

Lingdale “Bottom End”

Oldham Street, Moorcock Row and the Victoria Inn are shown on this photograph, of course the shale heap is very visible, all long gone now, although the name Moorcock Row remains – attached to the new houses built on the old site.  What  date was it taken – does anyone know?

Paula Miller has advised: ”This photograph was taken by the Evening Gazette”.
Many thanks to Paula for the update.

In the Wood, 1

In the Wood, 1

We had a good walk along the path, beside the beck, looking at the trees and bluebells and our legs were tired.

Joanne Dale, Sara Dean, ??, ??, ??, Ben Tyreman, ??.

(photo – Joan Yeoman, thanks to Adam Cuthbert for names to date.)