Archives

Arrowsmith’s Yard in 1920s

Taken in the mid to late 1920s this view of the mason’s yard shows Edgar Colbeck (on right) who was apprenticed to William Arrowsmith.
Image courtesy of Christopher Colbeck.

Arrowsmiths Monumental Masons Loftus

This picture of the monumental masons yard on Zetland Road is from the earliest period when William Arrowsmith was the proprietor. Date is unknown although the headstones are of a late Victorian style so possibly from the early years of the 20th century. Researches have now provided an answer for the magnificent red granite(?) headstone in the foreground; it can be now found in Loftus Cemetery, dedicated to Mary Ann Brittain (1825 – 1906) wife of William B. Brittain (1820 – 1910). Mr and Mrs Brittain in 1901 were living at 37 West Road, Loftus; Mr Brittain was a retired Ironmonger. 
Image courtesy of Christopher Colbeck; additional information courtesy of Eric Johnson (dates courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk).

Edgar Colbeck Proprietor at Arrowsmiths in 1971

This view of Arrowsmiths yard taken in 1971 shows Edgar Colbeck, he became proprietor in 1968 after working for John Arrowsmith (son of William) for several years.
Image courtesy of Christopher Colbeck.

Postcard of Loftus views

Despite the battered condition (as it arrived to the Archive!) this delightful postcard with selected views of Loftus and area by T. C. Booth is still delightful. The residents of Loftus must have been very proud of their area to have such delightful postcards available.
Image courtesy of Jean Hall.

The Wool Fair at Loftus

The Wool Fair at Loftus

Another image of the Loftus Wool Fair in the same year of at least two others on the site series. Based upon some of the coats that onlookers are wearing the weather was not dis-similar these present June days!

Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Loftus Wool Fair

Loftus Wool Fair

This image from a newspaper cutting is clearly dated 1910. It is obviously a different year from the images elsewhere on the site, based upon style of dress and arrangements of the stalls.

From a slightly later date we have a personal reminiscence of the Wool Fair from Mrs L .E.  Johnson of Loftus, she says: ”The fair was a diversion in the 1920’s which we all enjoyed. The Wool Fair was an annual event in June. The cattle and poultry, etc., were sold in the recreation field in Micklow Lane. We used to rush home from school at dinner time to see all the animals because it was all over when school finished at 4 o’clock.

On one side of the Market Place (no busses or cars then) there were produce stalls including a fish and chip van. It was fascinating to see the owner stoking up the firfe under the pans.

In the corner where the telephone now stands there were two swinging boats and a roundabout. On the opposite side of the market, Joh Dawson Robinson sold farm machinery (on the corner now occupied by the Post Office), George Dale sold crockery and Charley Turner, a popular character, had his stall outside the Golden Lion Hotel.”

 

Bus Crash

Bus Crash

One of several photos we have of this bus crash on Mill Bank. The bus ending up in Kilton Beck.

Photo courtesy Alan Richardson.

Tread Carefully

Tread Carefully

Loftus Market Place early 20th century. After Messrs Dodds took over from Mackenzie’s ownership of the shop on the corner of North Road. With plenty of free manure for the roses on the highway.

Photo courtesy Alan Richardson.

High Street Loftus

High Street Loftus

Dating from 1908 this image includes J. R. ’White Hat ’ Robinson, standing behind the cart. He was the Ironmonger in the Market Place – listed in 1893 Kelly’s Directories – Robinson Brothers also owned the brass and iron foundry (Zetland Foundry) on Liverton Road.

Image and information courtesy of Alan Richardson.

Proclamation

Proclamation

Loftus Market Place; we believed this to be the Proclamation of George 5th, but it was in fact the Celebrations for the Coronation of George Vth 22nd June 1911.

Photo courtesy Alan Richardson.