Archives

Richardson’s Publishers

Richardson's Publishers

A poster advertising Richardson’s – Publishers and Printers – this description should also include postcards, many are featured on the site. They occupied the premises now used by Martin McColls on West Road. The poster dates from the 1880s.
Image courtesy of Geoffrey Patton

Alum House, Hummersea

Alum House, Hummersea

A different view of the Alum House at Hummersea, obviously this building as it became more derelict attracted the Victorian and post Victorian photographers. ”Gothic” buildings attracted considerable interest in the early part of the twentieth century, hence the frequency of images of some buildings or scenes. Mary Bielby who kindly supplied this postcard tells us: ”Our family received this card from Mrs Lincoln (a family friend) whilst in North Ormesby Hospital (another building also sadly disappeared) whilst she recovered, but she could not spell our name correctly”.

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby and the update.

High Street, Loftus

High Street, Loftus

This view of the High Street, from the end of Arlington Street. Shows two ladies viewing the shop window, whilst possibly preparing to push the pram up to the Market Place. With the weight of prams in those days, a good push!

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby

The Fountain, Loftus

The Fountain, Loftus

A very mysterious postcard entitled The Fountain Loftus. It predates the building of the War Memorial above it. It certainly appears dilapidated compared to the images of the unveiling in 1922. From the girls dresses a Victorian or Edwardian date is indicated. It seems when the Memorial was built the fountain underwent a complete makeover. Mary Bielby tells us: ”It is hard to tell if the War Memorial is on this picture. Notice says ”water not safe for drinking”, but used by our families in 1950s in summer when taps dried up – before Scaling Dam was ready – water looked very clean, tasted okay and we survived! Dad and several other users lived into their 90s! The children appear to be from a time when little boys were dressed in the same clothes as girls until the age of seven, later age five. Postcard published by Skilbeck Stationers in Zetland Road, Loftus (where Zetland Road Co-op now stands)”.

Does anyone have information of it’s original construction and when.

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby, to whom also thanks for the additional comment.

Samuel’s Election

Samuel's Election

An election meeting on behalf of Herbert Samuel, Liberal candidate. Elected to Parliament in 1902, He had several posts in the Government, including Home Secretary, and Postmaster General, very appropriately standing next to Loftus Post Office. Mary Bielby tells us:”Despite popular belief Leon Brittain was not the the first Loftus MP to hold a Cabinet office, Herbert Samuel (Mr or Sir!) was about sixty or seventy years ahead of him!”
Herbert Samuel was knighted in 1920; the placard proclaims ’Boots instead of Beer’, perhaps he is being supported by the Temperance Movement.

Bill Danby in ”Skelton-in-Cleveland in History” tells us: ” The Labour MP, Keir Hardie made a speech at Marske in favour of a Labour candidate in Cleveland and the Miners Association held a meeting in Saltburn, but in the end no representative was put forward. This displeased many in the Independent Labour Party, one of their leaders calling Samuel a ”plutocratic Jew”, because he was an Oxford man, who had been left a lot of money by his banker father. In the end it was a 2 horse race with Herbert Samuel gaining 5.834 votes to the Conservative, Geoffrey Drage’s 3,798. Samuel retained the Cleveland seat until 1918, serving later as Postmaster General and then Home Secretary. In the following years he was High Commissioner to Palestine 1920/25 and involved in the creation of Israel, led an inquiry into the Mining Industry, leader of the Liberal Party, made a Viscount in 1937 and died at the age of 93 in 1963.”

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby and many thanks for the update regarding Cabinet Ministers. Also many thanks to Bill Danby for information from the Skelton website.

Decorated House – 48 & 49 High Street, Loftus

Decorated House

Believed to be from the late 1930’s when Loftus Athletic (or Albion) Football Club won the North Riding Cup. Decorations could have been put up by David Shaw (father) with sons John and younger brother David. Shaws lived at no. 48 High Street, but would be allowed to decorate no. 49 the home of their landlord Mr Espiner. Mary believes that the younger David possibly played football but this might alos have been local pride that promoted this display. Mary also tell us: ”We had similar decoration to both houses to celebrate in 1953 for the Coronation”. Now adays you would probably need permission!

Image and information kindly supplied by Mary Bielby

Loftus Mill

Loftus Mill

Photograph taken about 1900, We believe this is Jonathon Hartley the miller of Loftus Mill, (no mistaking him on the image), hence the name “Hartley’s field” for the adjacent pasture land. His Widow owned the Mill in 1905.
Image kindly loaned by Michael Garbutt

Loftus Foundry

Loftus Foundry

This image of Loftus Foundry is part of a series taken by Eric Johnson around the area. We will be displaying more as time passes, showing the changes in the area.

Image courtesy of Eric Johnson

Zetland Foundry

Zetland Foundry

Zetland Foundry, Loftus; initially owned by Robinson Brothers, then Tinsley & Sons and now used by Brough & Horner (proprietor Steve Whitlock). Still connected with iron working, this image taken about 20 years ago, over looking the allotment, the owner had a fine crop of potatoes that year.
Image Eric Johnson.

Rear Arbroath House

Rear Arbroath House

Now believed to be the rear of Arbroath House in the Market Place, before it was demolished and replaced by a taller house. Old photos of the Market Place show the house as a two story stone built dwelling, next to Fenby’s General Dealers (now Barclays Bank).