Recent Comments

Archives

Recent Comments

Archives

Darnholme near Goathland

Darnholme near Goathland

The hamlet of Darnholme in the valley of the Murk Esk. Little changed apart from more tree cover in the present day scene.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Bog House Farm

 Bog House Farm

The Coulson family farmed at Bog House in the early 20th century, the farm and house now long disappeared under the waters of  Scaling Dam; along with another farm. Stephen Coulson advises: “We are the very same Coulsons, still in Newby which is where the cattle and everything else was moved to.”

Image courtesy of Mrs Wilkinson via Keith Bowers and thanks to Stepehn Coulson for the update on the Coulson family.

Fryup Church

 Fryup Church

Fryup church in the Esk valley, the minister in the 19th century was Canon Atkinson from Danby parish. We had queries about this church in Fryup and now following researches have found this reference: ”Fryup Church, 100 yards east of Stonebeck Gate farm house, was built in 1871 by the Dawnay family employing Mr Boyes of Stonebeck Gate. There was no stained glass as the views from inside the church were very fine. It was not consecrated and was demolished in 1965. There was a photograph in Rev. Sydney Smith’s Book of Remembrance of 1926. In the 1930’s Lady Downe drove from Danby Lodge up little Fryup to Evensong at Fryup Church, returning by Great Fryup visiting tenants.”
Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey and information derived from ”The Story of Danby” by R.A. Robinson.

Westerdale Hall

 Westerdale Hall

Westerdale Hall (formerly Westerdale Lodge) was used as a baronial shooting lodge of the Duncombe Estate, built c.1870 and later was a Youth Hostel.

Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Westerdale Church

Westerdale Church

This A. Harrow of Darlington of Christ Church, Westerdale which was built in 1838 (the date is on the west tower); with alterations later in the century.

Image courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Rievaulx Abbey

Rievaulx Abbey

Somewhat outside our area, but a fine photo giving some idea of the size of the Cistercian Abbey at Rievaulx, in Ryedale. Founded in 1131 by Walter L’ Espec. During the rule of Abbot Aelred; Rievaulx housed 140 choir monks and 600 lay brothers. The Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIIIth in 1538.

Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Houlsyke

 Houlsyke

The hamlet of Houlsyke in the Esk Valley, between Danby and Lealholm. Once a centre for the salting and curing of bacon for the Esk Valley. It was shipped from Whitby for the London market. A large trade was also done in wool fleeces. Trading was conducted in ”The Fat Ox” public house, long since closed.

Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Castleton Post Office

Castleton Post Office

A tinted postcard, of the Post Office in the village of Castleton in the Esk valley, early in the 1900’s.
Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Boathouse Ruswarp

Boathouse Ruswarp

Visitors prepare to take to the water at the boathouse on the River Esk at Ruswarp.

Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Danby Castle

Danby Castle

Dating from around 1270,  Danby Castle was more a fortified manor house than a castle. Much of the building has disappeared over the years. Lords of the Manor were De Brus, De Thweng, and the Latimer familys. One interesting resident was Katherine Parr, after her second husband Lord John Latimer died, she married King Henry the VIII and survived the experience.

Postcard courtesy Pat Bennison.