Archives

Sykes House (1934)

Sykes House is on the front left of the photograph, with the school showing just behind it. To the right is the football field; with a well attended match (but no pavilion or changing rooms!) with the three rows of Bells Huts next to it.  In the background are Boulby cliffs with the radio mast on the top, the mast can still be seen today. Derick Pearson has happy memories of Bells Huts: “I lived in the nearest end house of the row next to the Football pitch (no 18) from 1945 to 1950 and we could stand in the garden or sit on the fence and watch the match.”

Many thanks to Derick for that update.

Tivoli Theatre after Fire (1914)

Not a lot left of the Tivoli Theatre after the fire – 4th December 1914 – Mr Biott is the man third from the left (white shirt sleeves); he was the owner of the fish and chip shop that was blamed for starting the fire.

Image courtesy of the Perm Holliday Collection.

Carlin How – Tivoli Theatre, 1912

Despite it’s exotic title the Tivoli Theatre, Carlin How was actually a corrugated sheeting building; with it’s mock gothic windows bore a greater resemblance to a chapel or religious building. Remembered for its travelling shows and dandily dressed actors who performed there. The building was also used for balls, as well as auctions. It later burned down in a fire in December 1914, the fire was believed to have started in Biott’s fish and chip shop which stood at the other end of the Theatre. The Tivoli Theatre stood on what was commonly called the Common opposite but to the right of the school. The same area in later years was where the Air Raid shelters were built. The telephone box of more modern times would have been at the right hand end of the Tivoli looking from Carlin How Fisheries. The metal fencing in the image faced onto Kilton Lane, whilst the youngsters in the photograph would be looking across Muriel Street at the end of the Maynard Arms.

Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection and many thanks to Brian Jemson and Derick Pearson for updating information.

Horse and Carriage in Carlin How

Horse and Carriage in Carlin How

Outside the Maynard Arms at Carlin How, Mr Thomas William Wood with his carriage. Mr Wood who was also the landlord of the Maynard Arms was well known in the area for inventing the alarm clock. Researches have now discovered that Thomas W Wood was at the Maynard Arms from 1886, recorded in the 1891, 1901 and  1911 Census at the Maynard Arms; his death is recorded as being in May 1912, whilst still the liscensee at the Maynard Arms.

 

Skinningrove and Carlin How Postcard

Skinningrove and Carlin How Postcard

We don’t see these any more, showing local views.
Has anyone any more to share with us?