Recent Comments

Archives

Recent Comments

Archives

Loftus Foundry and the old cupola

Loftus Foundry and the old cupola

Zetland Foundry, Station Road, Loftus. The old iron melting cupola can be seen on the left of the photo; the decision by Skinningrove Iron Co to build a new blast furnace in the late 1940s (the largest in the North East at that time) gave the Foundry the opportunity to tender for castings for the new build. This meant the small cupola shown here had to be replaced with a larger capacity furnace. On the right of the photo in the open shed a heap of moulding sand and next to it a pile of scrap iron – risings and runners – can be seen. On the left hand side a pile of moulding boxes are stacked ready for use. All the following images were taken during August and September 1950.
Image courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Marske Mill Viaduct

A Jackson & Sons Grimsby tinted postcard view of the railway viaduct, close to the former Marske Mill, being unposted it is only possible to estimate the date; possibly from the early 1900s.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Railway Station, Middlesbrough

Postmarked 1906, this postcard view of the railway station shows the roads with horse-drawn hackney cabs and pedestrians. How much quieter than the present junction. The prominent Statue of John Vaughan ’Iron Master’, was moved to Victoria Square in 1904. The overall arched roof being destroyed by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. The corner of the lower floor area of the building; 8 Exchange Place was formerly Winterschladen’s Wine & Spirits shop. It presently operates as ”The Corner House” a cocktail bar and entertainment venue.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Sandsend Ness

Sandsend Ness

The sea wall and Sandsend Ness. The building in this postcard is part of the old alum works it was cleared away to provide a car park.
A Judges postcard courtesy Maurice Grayson.

Horse Work

Photograph believed to have been taken in Lumpsey Mine; notice the use of horses instead of ponies in the Cleveland Ironstone seams, this was due to the increased depth of the ironstone seams. The miners are holding carbide lamps and a pile of props are on the left.

Image courtesy George Pearson.

North Skelton Mine

North Skelton Mine

North Skelton mine, the wooden headgear predates the replacement by a steel headgear in 1924.

Photo courtesy George Pearson.

Raithwaite Viaduct

Raithwaite Viaduct

A different train to be viewed on the Raithwaite viaduct which spans Newholm beck, having left Sandsend travelling towards the Whitby Westcliff station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Sandsend Viaduct – Sandsend

East Row Viaduct - Sandsend

A different view of the Sandsend viaduct, showing a steam train northbound, about to enter Sandsend station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950’s)

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950's)

Whitby West Cliff Station – very quiet, possibly only two carriages on the train. An ex-LMS Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4T, not obviously in steam from this photo, but crewed up ready for the Saltburn leg of the trip.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson and thanks to Mark Thompson for update on guards van and locomotive.

Staithes Viaduct

Staithes Viaduct

Staithes viaduct viewd from the area adjacent to the station in Staithes.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson