Recent Comments

Archives

Ventilation Doors

Ventilation Doors

Self closing ventilation doors held open at Lingdale mine, this was needed to help direct the flow of air around the workings, dated 20th November 1958.
Photo courtesy of George Pearson

Cup Presentation

Cup Presentation

Back row: Jackie Toole, Matty Miller, Bill Hyde, Martin Green, Dave Partlett, Gerry Pearson, Jimmy Cush, Norman Myers.
Third row: Paul Redway (Managing Director Skinningrove Works), Albert Atkinson, Brian Ferguson, Norman Dales.
Second row: ??, ??, Doreen Turnbull, ??, Marianna Worton, Dr Etches.
Front row: Harold Found, ??, ??, Danny Simpson.

Brian Young tells us: ”This is possibly a First Aid presentation, a few of these worked in the medica centre.”

Help is needed with names and identification of the cup.
Image courtesy Dave McGill, also thanks to Brian, Bob, Barbara, Eric and Col for the updates.

Picking Belt

Picking Belt

A typical scene on the picking belt at an ironstone mine in Cleveland. Here the shale was seperated from the ironstone as it came from the mine, larger lumps are being broken up by sledge hammers. Bill Danby tells us: ”My brother in law, Frank Holmes, who was a Deputy at both Lingdale and North Skelton Ironstone Mines says that this photograph is most likely Lingdale. North Skelton did not have a “belt”, as there so little shale content in the ore extracted from that mine, whereas at Lingdale the shale content was high. Hence the man-made mountain that used to stand behind Coral Street. South Skelton Mine, he adds, also had a “belt” but it was on a slope.”
Photo courtesy of George Pearson and many thanks to Bill (and Frank) for the update.

Port Mulgrave

A lovely photograph of Port Mulgrave’s docks; when it actually was a port, built around 1856-57, it was a very busy place serving the surrounding mines. This shows the harbour prior to World War II, the disintegrating remains of Palmers ironstone loading staithes clearly visible; the seaward pier was blown up during the war.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson, Neil Suckling and Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum.

New Belmont Mine, Guisborough

New Belmont Mine, Guisborough

We thought this was Chaloner Mine, but we have since been advised by David Richardson: ”This is the workshops and stables belonging to new Belmont Mine near Hunter Hill Farm south of Guisborough.

At Belmont Bank 500 metres east of this site was the original Belmont Mine, the ironstone seam there outcropped close to the foot of the bank but was found to rise to the west so by the time the mine was behind Hunter Hill farm its well over half way to the top of the bank.

The drift for New Belmont mine is still visible off the right of this photo and was constructed of concrete, unlike the drifts at old Belmont which were driven straight into the ironstone seam this drift is in fact an underground incline which climbs up the hill to reach the seam but arrives there some distance into the mine on one of its main roadways allowing new stone to be worked beyond the old workings south of Highcliff Nab.”
Image courtesy George Pearson and thanks to David for his clearing up our query, also to Dave Woods for his advice.

A Presentation

A Presentation

An obvious presentation, possibly First Aid as suggested by George Brown; but to whom, when and why?

Back row: Mr Cuthbert, Norman Myers,??, Dave Partlett??.

Front row: Jim Easton,  Albert Atkinson, Bart Groves, Brian Fergus on, Inga Cook? .

We have added some names, but can anybody help?

Image courtesy of Dave McGill, names to date supplied by Eric Johnson, George Brown and Colin Hart.

Lingdale 1962

Lingdale 1962

Photo taken from the tub side; of a ”Cranner”, about to tip the stone into the tub.
Image courtesy George Pearson.

Loader and Operator

Loader and Operator

An excellent view of a Loaderman and his Eimco Mechanical Machine called a “Cranner”, in Cleveland.The bucket picks up the Stone and Tips it into the Tub behind the Cranner. Thanks go to George Pearson for the loan of this photo taken in November 1958

Arches 15th June 1959

Arches 15th June 1959

Showing The Working Face, in Lingdale mine, Holes for the Explosives have been drilled ready for shotfiring. The roof of the place is being supported by Steel Mine Arches, joined together by Fishplates. Both Arches and Fishplates were Rolled in the 18 inch mill at Skinningrove Works.
Image courtesy George Pearson.

Morrison’s Mine, Brotton

Morrison’s Mine

A view of Morrison’s Mine and Coach Road, Brotton. Morrison’s was an independently owned mine; output was at the requirements of the Ironmasters – so could be a little or a lot depending upon demand – so called as it was developed by Robert Morrison (he lived in The Grange, Brotton), imagine having this in your back yard? There was also a brickworks! The shafts were named after Robert Morrison’s wife (Florence) and  his daughter (Mary). The overhead gantry was situated about where the children’s play area is on Coach Road today, but there are effectively no remains to indicate this industrial past.
Image courtesy George Pearson.