Archives

Margrove School 1928

Margrove School 1928

From the days when every village had a school, this school photograph of Margrove Park in 1928 dates from that era. And we have:

Back row from left to right): Mr Mackenzie, Lewis Snowdon, Miss Parkinson, Mrs Wilson, Mrs Myers, Miss Sprintall, Dick Moorhouse, Phillip Sanderson.

Middle row: Les Wood, Tommy Handley, Peggy Franks, Pat Sanderson, Winnie Day, Hazel Thompson, David Teasdale, ??, Tommy Simpson, John Nicholson, Jack Baker, Joe Proud, Charlie Wrightson.

Front row: Jack Balls, Jack Teasdale, Arthur Balls, Frank Davison, Albert Franks, Leonard Albert, Claire Sanderson, Lillie Bennison, Frances Sayer, Lil Cottell.

As Derick Pearson tells us: “Lewis Snowdon later became Head at Skinningrove Secondary Modern School and later became Deputy Head at Loftus County Modern when it opened in 1963.”

Image courtesy of Iris Place and many thanks to Derick for the update.

West Terrace, Redcar

West Terrace, Redcar

This postcard view of West Terrace is radically different today; ‘The Royal Standard’ renamed as ‘The Standard’ and the road is for buses only. The clock tower dedicated to Edward VII still stands at the end of the High Street, it is a Grade II listed building and a valued part of Redcar heritage.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

A View of East Cliff, Whitby

This Valentine’s postcard view taken from above Kyber Pass (just beside the whale bone arch looks towards Whitby Abbey and the east cliff. Dating from the 1950s, the flower beds and hand rails are much changed today.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

East Cliff and Bandstand, Whitby

An un-mailed postcard is from the early 1900s, hand tinted it presents a colourful view of Whitby Abbey and Tate Sands.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Whitby from West Cliff

Whitby from West Cliff

This Photocrom postcard dates from 1909 and is delicately hand tinted. Even in those days the senders were enduring ‘wretched weather’, some things never change.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

A Saltburn Letter Card

A Saltburn Letter Card

This letter card (an envelope with the above image on front) and space on the reverse for stamp and address was believed to date from the 1940s, note the fields where now there are caravans and a chalet park. Also how few vehicles are to be seen, a quieter pace of life. However; we have now been advised by Callum Duff: “Based on the appearance of two buildings, I would date this image between 1925 and 1935. The Pier Theatre was built in 1925 between the two shore end buildings to keep the pier as an attraction after being breached by SS Ovenbeg in 1924. The Assembly Rooms (now The Spa Hotel) was extended with an apron of new windows in 1935 and this work has yet to be started. If somebody knows when Exeter Street and Bristol Avenue were built, the date could be narrowed to something more accurate because it doesn’t look like work has started on this development either.”

Image courtesy of Iris Place and many thanks to Callum Duff for assistance in dating the image.

A Peep From Old Whitby

A Peep From Old Whitby

This enchanting postcard view is very aptly entitled, dating from the 1950s; similar views can still be gained and this despite the thronged main and side streets on both sides of the river. Although the younger people are differently dressed today, the older fishermen still bear an uncanny resemblance to those in this view.

Image courtesy of Iris Place. 

Whitby Fish Quay and Market

Whitby Fish Quay and Market

Viewed from the famous 199 steps, this 1960s view of the fish quay and market is still unchanged today, although the numbers of boats regularly using the quay and market is now much reduced. Also the long familiar ice making equip ment is now gone. But the hopeful younger fishermen still throng the harbour sides fishing for crabs and fish.

Image courtesy of Irish Place.

Whitby Lifeboat

Whitby Lifeboat

Whitby’s Trent Class All-Weather Life Boat ‘George and Mary Webb’ on station at Whitby; the boat arrived in 1994; it has a range of 250 nautical miles and can reach speeds of 25 knots. The boat is designed to lie afloat (it does not have to be launched) as it is ready to go at any time; a useful attribute when considering the history of earlier lifeboats at Whitby and difficult launches.

Image courtesy of Iris Place.

Cleveland’s Matterhorn

Cleveland's Matterhorn

A familiar view to all who visit the area is this more modern image of Roseberry Topping; viewed from the lay-by/car parking are as one approaches Newton under Roseberry. At 1,049 feet (320 m), Roseberry Topping was traditionally thought to be the highest hill on the  North York Moors however, the nearby Urra Moor is higher, at 1,490 feet (450 m). The top offers views of Captain Cook’s Monument on Easby Moor and the monument on Eston Nab. We are informed: “Until 1912 the summit resembled a sugarloaf, but a geological fault and possibly nearby alum and ironstone mining caused its collapse.”

Image courtesy of Iris Place.