Recent Comments


Recent Comments


Loftus Cricket Team (1939)

Loftus Cricket Club 1st XI pictured at Marton in 1939, having won the Cleveland Challenge Cup (solid silver); it is still played for today. Ian Proctor tells us: ”The large trophy is the Cleveland Cup which was first played for in 1885 and was played as a two innings match and was won by Norton. The other trophy is the Kerridge Cup and was first played for in 1911 and was won by Liverton Mines. Both cups are still played for today.”
Standing: E. L. Linsley, T. Robinson, W. Johnson (Gateman), F. Symonds, Oswald Smelt (12th man), George Franks (Vice Captain), Ronald Richard King..
Sitting: John Andrew (Scorer), R. Jackson, Joe Fenby, Wilf Robinson (Captain), J. Watson, Ernie Cockburn, Wilf Sanderson.

Sally Abra (nee King) tells us: ”The tall gentleman in the striped jacket on the end of the back row right hand side, is my father Ronald Richard King (son of Dick King often referee and husband to Dorothy nee Walton Winn). “Ron” emigrated to Australia with daughter Sally in 1975, to live with his son Richard; Ron passed away in 1977.”

Thanks to John Preston and Sally Abra (who also gave us correction details of Ron) for updates and dates, also Ian Proctor (Historian of Cleveland Cricket League) for additional information.

1 comment to Loftus Cricket Team (1939)

  • Terry Shaw

    Cleveland Cup Final played at Marton on 7th August 1939
    Loftus A…105 all out…(H.Varty 25, E.Cockburn 20)
    Priestcroft CC…97 all out
    The following is a report i found on the final
    A most exciting and interesting final, Loftus deserved to win in spite of their sensational batting collapse. Wickets fell as follows.. 3-1, 7-2, 7-3, 7-4, 14-5, 18-6, 31-7.
    F Lindsley’s innings (10) was of more value to the side than a fifty scored in easier circumstances.
    Towards the end of the Loftus innings H.Varty (25) and E. Cockburn (20) attacked the bowling in a spirited fashion and the total might easily have surpassed the actual figure of 105.
    In the early stages of the match two wickets were thrown away by foolish runouts, but the innings was closed by an error by a too hasty umpire giving E.Cockburn run out for 20.
    The fielding of the Loftus side was almost test standard, several fine catches were taken during the Priestcroft innings, those by Jackson and Fenby being real gems.
    E. Cockburn’s work in the outfield and returns were brilliant throughout. Keen bowling by Franks and Watson resulted in Priestcroft’s wickets falling as sensationally as had those of their opponents.
    At 18-5 a stand was made by the brothers J and M Butler, at 42 this was broken and wickets then fell steadily. When Leng the last Priestcroft batsman came to the wicket they wanted 31 runs to win, he was bowled leg stump off his foot without any further addition to the score, There was never any question or query in any of the players minds as to what actually happened, in point of fact the players were leaving the field when to everyone’s amazement the bowling umpire said not out, Leng the Priestcroft batsman concerned admitted immediately that he was perfectly satisfied that he was legitimately bowled, the square leg umpire expressed his verdict that Leng was bowled but in spite of this the match was resumed and Priestcroft came within an ace of winning.
    W.Butler aged 15 batted well but was bowled by Watson with the score on 97, Loftus winning by the narrow margin of 8 runs.
    This final will always be remembered as the final Loftus won twice.
    NOTE: It is interesting to note that the umpire concerned later apologised and admitted he had made a mistake.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.