Archives

Clean Up Time

Clean Up Time

“Fettling” the first trough cast for Skinningrove new furnace. Left to right: Lionel, Alan, “Rusty”, Syd and Donald.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

The First Casts

The First Casts

On the casting floor – preparing moulds for casting – Beamish Museum expressed an interest in the venerable hand operated overhead crane in this photograph.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Ready for Action

Ready for Action

The canopy and charging platform are ready for use.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Does it look straight to you?

Does it look straight to you?

The furnace charging platform is placed around the furnace. With foundry employees and guest onlookers.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Left a bit, right a bit

Left a bit, right a bit

The charging platform is hoisted into position.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Nearly there!

Nearly there!

The cupola is hoisted into position.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

It's Arrived!!

It's Arrived!!

The new cupola arrives. The mobile crane prepares to raise it into position. This crane may have been hired from Skinningrove Iron Co.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

New arrival imminent!

New arrival imminent!

Preparing the foundations for the new furnace, the old cupola lies on the left of the photo.

Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Loftus Foundry Yard

Loftus Foundry Yard

A view of the foundry yard before the Installation of the new furnace. On the right of the photo can be seen a pile of coke and pig iron and the steps to the charging platform of the old cupola. The new cupola furnace was installed between August and September 1950.
Photo courtesy of Robin Wilson.

Loftus Foundry and the old cupola

Loftus Foundry and the old cupola

Zetland Foundry, Station Road, Loftus. The old iron melting cupola can be seen on the left of the photo; the decision by Skinningrove Iron Co to build a new blast furnace in the late 1940s (the largest in the North East at that time) gave the Foundry the opportunity to tender for castings for the new build. This meant the small cupola shown here had to be replaced with a larger capacity furnace. On the right of the photo in the open shed a heap of moulding sand and next to it a pile of scrap iron – risings and runners – can be seen. On the left hand side a pile of moulding boxes are stacked ready for use. All the following images were taken during August and September 1950.
Image courtesy of Robin Wilson.