Archives

Loftus Market Place

Loftus Market Place

Market Place Loftus sometime in the 1950s, Covell’s delivery van is parked outside the butchers. A United bus waits at the stop near the Golden Lion Hotel. Parrot’s ironmongers now the Post Office is
in front of the bus.

A Skilbeck postcard courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

The Wool Fair at Loftus

The Wool Fair at Loftus

Another image of the Loftus Wool Fair in the same year of at least two others on the site series. Based upon some of the coats that onlookers are wearing the weather was not dis-similar these present June days!

Image courtesy of the Pem Holliday Collection.

Loftus Wool Fair

Loftus Wool Fair

This image from a newspaper cutting is clearly dated 1910. It is obviously a different year from the images elsewhere on the site, based upon style of dress and arrangements of the stalls.

From a slightly later date we have a personal reminiscence of the Wool Fair from Mrs L .E.  Johnson of Loftus, she says: ”The fair was a diversion in the 1920’s which we all enjoyed. The Wool Fair was an annual event in June. The cattle and poultry, etc., were sold in the recreation field in Micklow Lane. We used to rush home from school at dinner time to see all the animals because it was all over when school finished at 4 o’clock.

On one side of the Market Place (no busses or cars then) there were produce stalls including a fish and chip van. It was fascinating to see the owner stoking up the firfe under the pans.

In the corner where the telephone now stands there were two swinging boats and a roundabout. On the opposite side of the market, Joh Dawson Robinson sold farm machinery (on the corner now occupied by the Post Office), George Dale sold crockery and Charley Turner, a popular character, had his stall outside the Golden Lion Hotel.”

 

Tread Carefully

Tread Carefully

Loftus Market Place early 20th century. After Messrs Dodds took over from Mackenzie’s ownership of the shop on the corner of North Road. With plenty of free manure for the roses on the highway.

Photo courtesy Alan Richardson.

High Street Loftus

High Street Loftus

Dating from 1908 this image includes J. R. ’White Hat ’ Robinson, standing behind the cart. He was the Ironmonger in the Market Place – listed in 1893 Kelly’s Directories – Robinson Brothers also owned the brass and iron foundry (Zetland Foundry) on Liverton Road.

Image and information courtesy of Alan Richardson.

Proclamation

Proclamation

Loftus Market Place; we believed this to be the Proclamation of George 5th, but it was in fact the Celebrations for the Coronation of George Vth 22nd June 1911.

Photo courtesy Alan Richardson.

High Street, Loftus

High Street, Loftus

This view of the High Street, from the end of Arlington Street. Shows two ladies viewing the shop window, whilst possibly preparing to push the pram up to the Market Place. With the weight of prams in those days, a good push!

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby

The Fountain, Loftus

The Fountain, Loftus

A very mysterious postcard entitled The Fountain Loftus. It predates the building of the War Memorial above it. It certainly appears dilapidated compared to the images of the unveiling in 1922. From the girls dresses a Victorian or Edwardian date is indicated. It seems when the Memorial was built the fountain underwent a complete makeover. Mary Bielby tells us: ”It is hard to tell if the War Memorial is on this picture. Notice says ”water not safe for drinking”, but used by our families in 1950s in summer when taps dried up – before Scaling Dam was ready – water looked very clean, tasted okay and we survived! Dad and several other users lived into their 90s! The children appear to be from a time when little boys were dressed in the same clothes as girls until the age of seven, later age five. Postcard published by Skilbeck Stationers in Zetland Road, Loftus (where Zetland Road Co-op now stands)”.

Does anyone have information of it’s original construction and when.

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby, to whom also thanks for the additional comment.

Samuel’s Election

Samuel's Election

An election meeting on behalf of Herbert Samuel, Liberal candidate. Elected to Parliament in 1902, He had several posts in the Government, including Home Secretary, and Postmaster General, very appropriately standing next to Loftus Post Office. Mary Bielby tells us:”Despite popular belief Leon Brittain was not the the first Loftus MP to hold a Cabinet office, Herbert Samuel (Mr or Sir!) was about sixty or seventy years ahead of him!”
Herbert Samuel was knighted in 1920; the placard proclaims ’Boots instead of Beer’, perhaps he is being supported by the Temperance Movement.

Bill Danby in ”Skelton-in-Cleveland in History” tells us: ” The Labour MP, Keir Hardie made a speech at Marske in favour of a Labour candidate in Cleveland and the Miners Association held a meeting in Saltburn, but in the end no representative was put forward. This displeased many in the Independent Labour Party, one of their leaders calling Samuel a ”plutocratic Jew”, because he was an Oxford man, who had been left a lot of money by his banker father. In the end it was a 2 horse race with Herbert Samuel gaining 5.834 votes to the Conservative, Geoffrey Drage’s 3,798. Samuel retained the Cleveland seat until 1918, serving later as Postmaster General and then Home Secretary. In the following years he was High Commissioner to Palestine 1920/25 and involved in the creation of Israel, led an inquiry into the Mining Industry, leader of the Liberal Party, made a Viscount in 1937 and died at the age of 93 in 1963.”

Image courtesy of Mary Bielby and many thanks for the update regarding Cabinet Ministers. Also many thanks to Bill Danby for information from the Skelton website.

Decorated House – 48 & 49 High Street, Loftus

Decorated House

Believed to be from the late 1930’s when Loftus Athletic (or Albion) Football Club won the North Riding Cup. Decorations could have been put up by David Shaw (father) with sons John and younger brother David. Shaws lived at no. 48 High Street, but would be allowed to decorate no. 49 the home of their landlord Mr Espiner. Mary believes that the younger David possibly played football but this might alos have been local pride that promoted this display. Mary also tell us: ”We had similar decoration to both houses to celebrate in 1953 for the Coronation”. Now adays you would probably need permission!

Image and information kindly supplied by Mary Bielby