Recent Comments

Archives

Zetland Road Loftus 1905

Zetland Road Loftus 1905

The south side of Zetland road Loftus, about 1905, complete with assembled participants in this postcard view. A Wm. Richardson & Sons, Loftus, Penny Real Photo Series image.
Image courtesy of Olive Bennett.

Zetland Road 1906

Zetland Road 1906

Dating of this image can be very definite. George Hebditch (building contractor) moved to Loftus in 1906. He first built the Congregational church at the bottom of Westfield Terrace. The church is clearly visible in the image with the scaffolding still in place and the outdoor pulpit not yet constructed. Researches have produced the following detail: ”In October 1904, a start was made to raise funds for a new building on a prominent site in the centre of the town. Foundation stones were laid in April, 1906 and opened for public worship on December 6th 1906. The total cost of the premises was £2,100, of all but £600 had been raised by June 1907”.
Image courtesy of Mike & Carol; additional dating information courtesy of postcard ”Congregational Church and Minister, Loftus in Cleveland”.

George Edis

George Edis

Located next to the recently closed Breckon and Shaw premises on Zetland road. George Edis was a tobbaconist and barber. In business for many years in Loftus, from late 19th century to early 20th. The site is now part of the Co-op store.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson and Keith Bowers.

Dam End and South Loftus Lane

Dam End and South Loftus Lane

Viewed from Water Lane this view of Dam End is from a George Skilbeck postcard.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Fall South Wood, Loftus

Originally believed to be the waterfall in Espiner’s (Hancock’s) wood, our postcard view is undated; but is possibly from the early 1900s. Jonathan suggested: “This waterfall maybe in Handale wood.” Bryan Richardson has confirmed with: “This waterfall is the one in Handale Wood about 300 yards towards Handale from Slaters Banks. The waterfall in Espiner’s wood is flatter than the one in Handale. The railway embankment would also be in the background in Espiner’s. The waterfall is now about one meter lower than it is in the photograph.”

Image courtesy of Ann Wedgewood and Keith Bowers; thanks to Jonathan and Bryan Richardson for the updates.

Zetland Road Loftus

An early 20th century postcard image of Zetland Road, how quiet it seems to today. The poor pony and trap would not enjoy the same serene pace of traffic, And as for pedestrians on the road!!
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Peace Celebrations 1918

Peace Celebrations 1918

One of the series of postcards celebrating the 1918 Peace Celebrations, taken by George Skilbeck (possibly from the upper front room of his premises on Zetland Road). This is the head of the procession with the band leading a vast number of people. The clothing of all indicates more relief that the horror is over than a joyful occasion it commemorated.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Zetland Road Loftus Early 1900s

This view of Zetland Road shows the original brick pavements and unmetalled road. How the pram on the right of the image must have been vibrated as it was pushed along on the pavement. Notice also the absence of the now familiar red post box on the support wall for the monumental masons displays.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Inside St. Leonard’s Church

St Leonard’s is the parish church for Loftus. The original ancient edifice dating back to Saxon times was demolished in 1810, described by Rev. Graves “as a dark, mean and humble building.” The new church designed by Ignatius Bonomi, a well known Durham architect who also planned the original Rectory, (this now called Linden House) above Dam end; the hall of Lord Dundas in the Hall Grounds is also much in his style. The church was again enlarged around 1900, with the addition of a north aisle. The fine carved rood screen and rood cross, divide the nave from the chancel.

Image (from a Skilbeck postcard) courtesy Maurice Grayson; detail courtesy of Nicholas Pevsner “Yorkshire- the North Riding”.

Zetland Road Loftus

Zetland Road Loftus

Zetland Road Loftus 1950’s. A stark contrast to the present day, every shop on both sides of the street and further up Zetland Road were a thriving business. Possibly only Bramwell’s (formally Halton’s) are still in the same trade on the same premises.

A Skillbeck postcard courtesy of Maurice Grayson.