Recent Comments

Archives

Newport Road Bridge

This St Alban’s Series postcard of Newport Bridge is possibly mid 20th Century, The bridge was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York (King George VI & Queen Elizabeth) on 28th of February 1934; part of a tour the Duke and Duchess made to the area, including a visit to Margrove Park (Heart Break Hiil) and Loftus. The bridge was last raised in November 1990. Mark T. tells us: ”The last lift is featured on ‘youtube’ .” However Russ Pigott informs us: ”This cannot be the last lift as there still looks to be a lot of wharves in what looks like the ironmasters district. These had long gone by the early 1990s.” This image of the bridge in a raised position is prior to this final lift as Russ advises.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley and thanks to Mark T. for that information. Thanks also to Russ Pigott for the better definition of a
possible date.

Middlesbrough Infirmary

Originally known as Middlesbrough and sited on Newport Road, it became known as the North Riding Infirmary, sadly now demolished and now replaced by commercial premises; the fine portico entrance was saved and re erected on the site.

Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Albert Park Gate, Middlesbrough

A Valentine’s Series postcard dated 1907, showing we believe the west gate looking towards Linthorpe Road; Dorman Museum on
the left. The children on the right prefer to tell the time by sundial ignoring the clock!. How this scene is now much changed.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Tees and Transporter Bridges

This more recent postcard by Valentines of Dundee is from 1980. It gives wonderful views of the bridges of the Tees, showing Newport bridge in both lowered and raised positions.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Stockton Market Hall c.1900

Stockton Market Hall c.1900

This view of Stockton Market Hall although outside our area portrays the times of cobbled main streets, horse drawn traps and ladies with wide brimmed hats. Image trying to cross the same road now even without the long skirt?
Image from a glass palte negative courtesy of Geoff Patton

Anthony Newton of West Barnby

Anthony Newton of West Barnby

Anthony Newton of West Barnby – an old countryman who was lame from falling off a hayrick in his teens and always walked with 2 sticks, but who grew superb vegetables and won prizes in every major show for miles around. The cottage shown had a coal fire and until about 1949 – no electricity – this image was taken in 1953 by Lionel Richardson of Loftus (photographer and postcards) whose family business preceeded Fords at the top of Station Road.

Image courtesy of Alan Richardson.

Wilton ICI Flare Stacks

Even in 1973 the Wilton flare stacks caused problems.
Image courtesy of Owen Rooks.

Guisborough Market Cross

Guisborough Market Cross

Guisborough Market Cross, long before the present traffic and pedestrian lights. No wide pavement and possibly about 1950. Having said we were unsure of a date, Rod Scase tells us: ”About 1960 by looking at the cars.”
Image courtesy of Geoff Patton and thanks to Rod for the update.

Tractors displayed at Stokesley Show

Tractors displayed at Stokesley Show

Look at the farmers viewing the tractor stands at Stokesley Show dated we believe from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Image kindly supplied by Geoff Patton.

Beck Isle Cottage

Beck Isle Cottage

Thornton Le Dale, An Edwardian Postcard of Probably the most photographed cottage in Yorkshire. There are many views of the cottage from different directions, mostly from the bridge over the beck,
Image courtesy Ken Johnson.