Recent Comments

Archives

Whitby Fishermen 1950’s

Taken in the 1950’s on a Kodak Brownie box camera this image of the fishermen on the quayside at Whitby brings back memories of a time past which many will remember. Taken by and to the Archive by Brian Hudson; he was born in East Cleveland and now resident in Australia. He has lived all over the world, living in Liverpool and Middlesbrough many of his Cleveland images are housed in Teesside Archives collection.

Image and notation courtesy of Dr. Brian Hudson (Queensland University of Technology).

Caravan Park – Saltburn – 1960’s

A different view of the caravan park at Saltburn; another Dennis postcard view shows a variety of caravans and towing vehicles with a post mark of September 1966. Obviously some were not touring much judging by their size and little ‘huts’ free-standing beside them. How different to the present day; from the days well before Tingdene with the chalet buildings and large ‘static’ caravans brought to site by trailer, rather than towed in by proud owners.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka.

Saltburn Caravan Park 1960’s

This image of Saltburn Caravan Park in the 1960’s (from a Dennis postcard dated 1966) shows the present day entrance to the Hazelgrove Residential Park with the chalet type buildings. Although there appear to be many almost ‘static’ type of caravans rather than tourers, judging by their size and adjacent structures. Today a very different aspect would be afforded from the same view-point.

Image courtesy of Julie Tyrka. 

First House in Dormanstown 1918

This image has the comment on the reverse: “First complete steel and Hy Rib house” at Dormanstown; known as ‘Dorlonco’,the design was named after Dorman Long the steel company at Warrenby to house the workers for the steel works, they were designed by Architects:  Stanley Davenport Adshead, Ramsey and Albert Abercrombie. The builders were Jones and Sons of Westminster and Costain Brothers of Liverpool; Arch Aubrey uncle of Geoff Kitching’s father worked on these houses when they were first being built and evidently took this image. Owing to a shortage of bricks the houses were built with steel frames and clad with concrete, but were modestly elegant affairs in the Georgian style. The first 300 houses were built in two styles: kitchen houses for manual workers and parlour houses for clerical staff; Gas was supplied free to every house. When completed in 1920, Dormanstown housed 342 families. The last of the ‘Dorlonco’ houses were demolished in 1979; the streets of Dormanstown still carry names linked to the builders, Architects and even the steel works manager (Ennis Road; which was the original line for the light railway that was built to carry materials on the 850 acre site).

Image courtesy of Geoff Kitching.