Recent Comments

Archives

Upleatham and Ellers Bridges

Upleatham and Ellers Bridges

Situated in Skelton Ellers, the bridge to the right in this postcard view is of Upleatham bridge, built in 1755 it is Grade II listed. Similarly Ellers bridge which can be seen at the left, built in 1756 is also listed. Both bridges have stood the test of time, despite many ‘knocks’ over the years from passing motor traffic.
Image courtesy of Peter Appleton.

Skelton Drill Hall

Skelton Drill Hall

This postcard view of a building which will be remembered by many; internally it bears no resemblance to those views included in this image and externally is passed by many who are unaware of the buildings former essential use. Originally opened on 26th December 1913, for the Skelton Territorials “G” Company of the 4th Yorkshire Regiment, in the 1960s it became a social club. After burning down it was altered into apartments, bearing the title of Marlborough Court; it still stands at the southern end of Marlborough Road.
Image courtesy of Peter Appleton.