Recent Comments

Archives

Zetland Terrace at Marske

Zetland Terrace at Marske

This postcard view of Zetland Terrace at Marske, includes an end-on view of the Tithe Barn. It dates from 1905 and was produced by W. Pounder of Redcar Road, Marske; another local postcard photographer and printer.
Image courtesy of John G. Hannah.

Brotton’s New Church

Brotton's New Church

From a ‘Phoenix’ series postcard entitled “Brotton – New Church”; British History On-line states: “The new church dedicated to St Margaret was built lower down the hill-side in 1888–91. It was the gift of Miss Jackson of Hunley Hall and consists of chancel with south aisle, north organ chamber and vestry, nave of five bays, north and south aisles, and south and west porches. There is a small bell-turret on the south side between the chancel and nave. The roofs are covered with red tiles. The building, which stands well above the road and is of stone, is a very good example of modern Gothic work in the style of the 15th century.” The small trees behind the roadside wall were removed some years ago as they were deemed to be unsafe; but replaced with oaks which are now starting to grow well.
Image courtesy of Olive Bennett.