Recent Comments

Archives

Quaker Burial Ground

Quaker Burial Ground

Old Liverton, stone dated 1693.
The Quaker burial ground at Liverton is located at Red House farm. Dating from about 1669 to the early 1800’s, it is believed that up to 50 persons are interred there. Little is known about the Society of Friends in the area, But may have started after the visit by the founder George Fox preaching in Cleveland around 1654.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection, additional information courtesy of Dr Alastair Laurence ’History of Liverton’.

1918 Peace Celebrations

George Skilbeck took many pictures of the Loftus Peace Celebrations in 1918. This postcard view shows the approach to the Market Place as the parade fills the whole road.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection.

Peace Celebrations on West Road 1918

Peace Celebrations on West Road 1918

Another George Skilbeck postcard view of the Peace Celebrations in 1918.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection.

Zetland Road 1918

Zetland Road 1918

This George Skilbeck postcard view of the Peace Celebrations in 1918, shows the parade has advanced onto Zetland Road.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection.

Fire at Ruswarp 1911

A fire occurred on the 25th September 1911 at Ruswarp Flour, this image is from a series taken by John Thomas Ross an active photographer and postcard producer from Whitby; he apparently cycled to Ruswarp upon notification of the event.
Image courtesy of John G Hannah, information courtesy of ”Whitby Photographers by Ruth Wilcock”.

Port Mulgrave – July 1982

Originally a fishing port, the harbour at Port Mulgrave was used as the only feasible transportation point for iron stone quarried from the Grinkle Mine. In use from the late 1870s till 1917; the machinery on the jetty was being dismantled in 1934 when the wooden gantry accidentally caught fire. The Royal Engineers subsequently destroyed the breakwater on the seaward side to prevent German invasion, even less remains that that shown in this 1982 image.
Image courtesy of The Pem Holliday Collection.

Redcar Beach

With trousers rolled up and skirts modestly raised, trippers venture into the briny, but a distinct lack of swimmers is evident in this postcard view of the beach at Redcar.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Red Barns Christmas 1916

This further image of Red Barnes shows a ward bedecked for Christmas 1916. The patients at these hospitals were generally less seriously wounded than at other hospitals and they needed to coalesce. The servicemen preferred the auxiliary hospitals to military hospitals because they were not so strict, they were less crowded and the surroundings were more homely.
Image courtesy of Brenda Harding.

Red Barns

At the outbreak of the First World War the Red Cross secured buildings, equipment and staff to set up temporary hospitals to cope with wounded men returning from the front. Red Barnes at Redcar (former home of intrepid Victorian explorer Gertrude Bell) was another such hospital, the image shows Red Barns orderlies seated bedside empty beds.
Image courtesy of Brenda Harding.

Wharton Hall 1916 – 1918

At the outbreak of the First World War, the Red Cross secured buildings, equipment and staff to set up temporary hospitals to cope with wounded men returning from the front. The Wharton Hall; at the bottom of Green Road in Skelton was just such a hospital. Provided by the Wharton family of Skelton Castle, this picture shows the Hall in 1915 ready to receive patients.
Image courtesy of Brenda Harding.