Archives

Mill Bank Under Snow

Mill Bank Under Snow

A wintery view of Mill Bank, Loftus under a covering of snow, prior to the road alterations. Obviously the horse and cart were undeterred by the road conditions.

Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropoulus.

Market Place Loftus

Market Place Loftus

A view of Dodds shop in the Market Place, interestingly J.M. Slater pharmacist then a similar frontage as the more modern counterpart.

Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropoulus

Lawrences Again

J.S. Lawrence obviously had an extensive stock, one can only image how well filled the interior of the shop m ust have been to fill so much pavement space.

Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropoulus.

Post Office as it was

Post Office as it was

J.S. Lawrence Ironmongers used to occupy the corner shop which now houses Loftus Post Office. No worries about blocking the pavement in those days.

Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropoulus.

Recent History

Recent History

This photo is of recent history; in North Road on the right, the long building with the tiled roof was demolished and houses were built on the site. believed to have been a blacksmiths shop, then a warehouse, finally it was owned by Espiners.
Photo courtesy Eric Johnson.

Loftus Working Mens Club

Loftus Working Mens Club

A view of the Loftus Working Men’s Club which occupied the corner of the Market Place in Loftus under the then Loftus Council Offices.
Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropoulus and Keith Bennison.

Entrance To The Old Rectory

Entrance To The Old Rectory

Is he checking his map? Is he lost? Perhaps you can tell us where this is? And as Stacey now tells us: ”That’s the back drive (the original one) up to Linden House (the old rectory).”

Image courtesy of Mrs Sakaropolous and thanks to Stacey for the identification of the location.

Valley View

Valley View

This Frith’s postcard is a view towards Carlin How from Mill bank; we can see the aerial rope way machinery for the buckets of ironstone from the mine to the works. The old North Loftus mine chimney still stands, the head-gear for Carlin How mine (Duck Hole) has disappeared; it closed in 1945. The railway bridge over Carlin How hairpin bend part of the zig zag line down to Skinningrove is still standing (removed in 1958); as is the old road bridge further up the bank.
Image courtesy of Tina Dowey.

Kilton (Loftus) Bank

Kilton (Loftus) Bank

A fine hand coloured Edwardian postcard, of Loftus Mill Bank, (called Kilton Bank here).
Of interest is the gates leading to the park on the right,The Road is much wider now at this point. In the distance on top of the cliff, the Works Are only a small part of what it later became. Skinningrove (Loftus) mine in the valley, still has the large Chimney, for the steam raising Boilers used to power the mine.
Postcard courtesy of Tina Dowey.

South Town Lane

South Town Lane

The Lane leading down to south Loftus. the road looks in terrible condition, Surprising, because looking at the view of Skinningrove Works in the distance we can see NO 5 Furnace, built in 1951. At this date was Loftus Urban District Council, or North Riding council responsible for Roads ?.