Recent Comments

Archives

Recent Comments

Archives

Claphow Lane 1940’s

Claphow bridges in the 1940s, I would not advise walking along the road in this manner today. It is now known that the two ladies are: ”Two sisters (left to right); Joan and Emily Greensitt whose family owned a guest house on Marine Parade, Saltburn. The image was taken of them taking a leisurely stroll through the Claphow bridges about 1940”
Image courtesy of Owen Rooks and additional information courtesy of Lingdale Communigate site.

Zig Zag Railway Bridge

Zig Zag Railway Bridge

Removing the rails from the bridge down to Skinningrove on the Zig Zag Railway, just below the hairpin bend on Carlin How bank. Work undertaken by Darlington District Engineers Department, prior to the bridges demolition, about 1958.

Photo courtesy of Ken Loughran.

Claphow Bridges

Claphow Bridges

It must have been a wet walk that day, judging by the dress of the miners and the shining road. We asked ”More importantly can anybody identify the men?” and Paula Miller now tells us ”This is the Moody brothers of Lingdale”.

Image courtesy of Jeff Templeman and many thanks to Paula Miller for that update.

Kettleness Station Westbound

Kettleness Station with locomotive a Standard 2-6-4, Tank engine which is westbound to Loftus.

Image courtesy Maurice Grayson.

Kettleness Station

Train departing Kettleness towards Whitby, the guard at the rear of the train appears to be waving his flag, for the driver to start away.
Image courtesy Maurice Grayson.

Hinderwell Station

A hand tinted postcard view of Hinderwell station, possibly dating from early 1900s, no details were to be gained from the reverse of this image, so the Archive would welcome dating information. Hinderwell as with Easington, Staithes, Kettleness and Sandsend stations, built to the same design. Possibly disconcerting to passengers alighting on a dark evening, especially if they had dozed on their journey and woken abruptly at their hoped for destination!

Image courtesy of The David Linton Collection.

Staithes Viaduct.

A view the viaduct from downstream, looking inland. The train is heading towards Staithes station. Chris Davies tells us:”The engine is a Raven/Gresley A8 4-6-2t hauling a train of ex-NER and a Thompson suburban brake of the LNER.” Francois Andre Greef advises: “I deduce from the way the river flows beneath the photographer that he was standing on the old trestle bridge at the Granary Yard, and not on the “Lower Bridge”, which rested on stone bulwarks. The old bridge was where the stepping stones are today.”

Image courtesy Maurice Grayson, thanks to Chris Davies and Francois Andre Greef for the updates.

Staithes Viaduct again

Staithes Viaduct with a local commuter train, powered by a British Railways “Standard” tank engine. This photograph was probably taken towards the end of the line’s existence, a two carriage train indicating the decline of rail traffic as increased fares and better road links caused migration away from the railways. Simon Chapman advised: “All that remains now are the concrete piers that supported the steelwork. In view is the stone abutment which supported the west end. The east end abutment; also of stone was demolished”.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson and Jean Hall, thanks to Simon Chapman for the last piece of information.

Sandsend Station

A view of Sandsend railway station viewed from the west, looking towards the hill at the bottom of which is the road and present day protruding pedestrian walkway.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Staithes Viaduct once more

Train bound for Whitby, five coaches were normal in summer, reduced to two or three for winter service; believed to date from the mid 1950s. Mark Thompson ha sadvised: “A photograph of Staithes Viaduct, taken from the landward side, showing a 5 coach train travelling towards Whitby, headed by a large tank engine (possibly an A8 (4-6-2T) or maybe a BR Standard tank (2-6-4T) – or even a Thompson L1 tank (2-6-4T).” What a remarkably scenic railway this was – nowadays it would be the ideal candidate for preservation – and we cannot blame Dr Beeching for the closure of the line. As Andrew Hogan tells us: ”This line closed in 1958, Dr. Beeching did not come to power until 1962 and therefore had nothing to do with its closure.” 

Russ Pigott tells us: ”The loco is a class L1 2-6-4t and the photo was taken after 1956 as it has the later BR crest,maybe even closure day as there seems to be a lot of people (enthusiasts?) stood up and looking out of the coach windows.”

Image courtesy Maurice Grayson, thanks to Mark Thompson, Andrew Hogan and Russ Pigott for the updates.