Archives

Railway Station, Middlesbrough

Postmarked 1906, this postcard view of the railway station shows the roads with horse-drawn hackney cabs and pedestrians. How much quieter than the present junction. The prominent Statue of John Vaughan ’Iron Master’, was moved to Victoria Square in 1904. The overall arched roof being destroyed by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. The corner of the lower floor area of the building; 8 Exchange Place was formerly Winterschladen’s Wine & Spirits shop. It presently operates as ”The Corner House” a cocktail bar and entertainment venue.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Raithwaite Viaduct

Raithwaite Viaduct

A different train to be viewed on the Raithwaite viaduct which spans Newholm beck, having left Sandsend travelling towards the Whitby Westcliff station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Sandsend Viaduct – Sandsend

East Row Viaduct - Sandsend

A different view of the Sandsend viaduct, showing a steam train northbound, about to enter Sandsend station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950’s)

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950's)

Whitby West Cliff Station – very quiet, possibly only two carriages on the train. An ex-LMS Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4T, not obviously in steam from this photo, but crewed up ready for the Saltburn leg of the trip.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson and thanks to Mark Thompson for update on guards van and locomotive.

Staithes Viaduct

Staithes Viaduct

Staithes viaduct viewd from the area adjacent to the station in Staithes.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson

Skinningrove Station

Skinningrove Station

Skinningrove Station, on Carlin How Bank. A one platform station, it suffered badly from mining subsidence and had to be demolished.

Photo courtesy of George Pearson.

Railway Station

Railway Station

Believed to be Staithes Station, although Kettleness station was built to an identical design, Can anyone verify this information.

Image courtesy of George Pearson.

Last Train

Last Train

Loftus Station on the last day of through passenger services to Scarborough on the Coast Line. May 1958.
Image courtesy of Alan Richardson

Claphow Lane 1940’s

Claphow bridges in the 1940s, I would not advise walking along the road in this manner today. It is now known that the two ladies are: ”Two sisters (left to right); Joan and Emily Greensitt whose family owned a guest house on Marine Parade, Saltburn. The image was taken of them taking a leisurely stroll through the Claphow bridges about 1940”
Image courtesy of Owen Rooks and additional information courtesy of Lingdale Communigate site.

Zig Zag Railway Bridge

Zig Zag Railway Bridge

Removing the rails from the bridge down to Skinningrove on the Zig Zag Railway, just below the hairpin bend on Carlin How bank. Work undertaken by Darlington District Engineers Department, prior to the bridges demolition, about 1958.

Photo courtesy of Ken Loughran.