Archives

Staithes Viaduct

Staithes Viaduct

We are now reliably informed by Russ Pigott: ”This is actually a picture of the demolition of Staithes viaduct in 1960. There weren’t too many diesel cranes about in the 1870s!” WHOOPS we got it wrong.
Image courtesy of a supporter of the Archive and many thanks to Russ for clarification of the image.

Skinningrove Railway Station

Skinningrove Railway Station

Skinningrove Station – ironically at Carlin How! But who were the two people in the photograph?

Image courtesy of Keith Bennison.

Skinningrove Steelworks Loco

Skinningrove Steelworks Loco

Greenbank a steel works locomotive with the proud staff.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Staithes and Viaduct

Staithes and Viaduct

This hand tinted postcard shows how delicate the supporting piers of the Staithes viaduct were and give a greater understanding of how cross winds could affect trains on the structure.
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Easington Railway Station 1905

Easington Railway Station 1905

Easington railway station opened on 3rd December 1883 (as Easington) and was renamed Grinkle on 1st April 1904. This postcard image must have been taken shortly after the name change. The station closed in 1939, eight days after Britain declared war on Germany – start of World War II – and was situated before the railway line entered the tunnel under Grinkle Lane. It was accessible via a short lane from the Loftus Easington road. Easington railway station was built to a similar design to the stations of Staithes, Hinderwell and Kettleness
Image courtesy of Joyce Dobson & Keith Bowers.

Last Train Thro Staithes from Scarbro

Last Train Thro Staithes from Scarbro

A misleading caption to this photograph, The train in fact is leaving the viaduct from the direction of Loftus. Boulby cliff is prominent in the background. The last Train from scarborough ran in May 1958.
Photograph courtesy of Joyce Dobson and Keith Bowers.

Railway Station, Middlesbrough

Postmarked 1906, this postcard view of the railway station shows the roads with horse-drawn hackney cabs and pedestrians. How much quieter than the present junction. The prominent Statue of John Vaughan ’Iron Master’, was moved to Victoria Square in 1904. The overall arched roof being destroyed by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. The corner of the lower floor area of the building; 8 Exchange Place was formerly Winterschladen’s Wine & Spirits shop. It presently operates as ”The Corner House” a cocktail bar and entertainment venue.
Image courtesy of Kim Whaley.

Raithwaite Viaduct

Raithwaite Viaduct

A different train to be viewed on the Raithwaite viaduct which spans Newholm beck, having left Sandsend travelling towards the Whitby Westcliff station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Sandsend Viaduct – Sandsend

East Row Viaduct - Sandsend

A different view of the Sandsend viaduct, showing a steam train northbound, about to enter Sandsend station.
Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson.

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950's)

Whitby, West Cliff Station (1950's)

Whitby West Cliff Station – very quiet, possibly only two carriages on the train. An ex-LMS Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4T, not obviously in steam from this photo, but crewed up ready for the Saltburn leg of the trip.

Image courtesy of Maurice Grayson and thanks to Mark Thompson for update on guards van and locomotive.